New Group First Gig

I've been asked to take part in a gig as part of a 3 person group on 6th Feb at the robert gillows in Lancaster. Seeing as it is now the 5th and we haven't actually managed a practice yet this could be a disaster but we can always do our solo stuff if it falls apart.

We are going under the name "Lune Deeps" and doing sea songs and shanties for a couple of hours, nine o'clock onwards. It looks likely that most of the instumentation is me on Anglos with perhaps a bit of whistle and bodhran.

I should point out that the bodhran is only used to accompany songs that have no other instumentation, which to my mind is probably the best use for a bodhran:)

So if anyone is in Lancaster tomorrow night come along and embarass us.

Robin Madge

We are going under the name "Lune Deeps" and doing sea songs and shanties for a couple of hours, nine o'clock onwards.

Well, at least that's a fairly secure formula, Robin. Let's hope that some of the audience know the chorus lines.

Good luck!

Peter.

I should point out that the bodhran is only used to accompany songs that have no other instumentation, which to my mind is probably the best use for a bodhran:)

I can think of some better ones, e.g. piling them high as a barrier against a lava flow.

Chris

PS best of luck with the gig.

PPS one day to go ...

Edited by Chris Timson

I can think of some better ones, e.g. piling them high as a barrier against a lava flow.

You can also use them to collect money (coins and bills) in for the group, if people feel like tipping. In a pinch you can use it as a tray for the drinks, or for the empties.. ;)

Patrick

Edited by Dieppe

Just to add to the confusion, I have now been told that the gig is to be at the Sun Inn instead of where I stated earlier.

Dick, there should be at least one number that approaches Jazz, John wants to do "Stripey and Blondie" a genuine Royal Navy messroom pastiche of a song that I can't remember the correct title of. "He was her man, and he was doing her wrong".

Robin

Well, we survived, we performed and we were paid, but there was very little audience as the organisers had omitted to consider that publicity might be a good idea!

Mind you we should have expected as much in view of the very short lead time we had in being booked.

I think we shal look on it as more of a paid rehersal than anything else, and yes the problem was deciding what we absolutely could not leave out rather than what to do. I'm guessing that we have about 5 hours worth of stage time just on maritime material between us, just need to practice it first for best results.

Robin Madge