Fun Chord Excercise On Anglo

Mikefule

I am a fairly new player with a G/D anglo.

The Em chord on the push is like this:

xExEx Bonus row ("accidental" sounds so negative!)

xxGBx G row

xxxxx D row

The equivalent on the C/G would be Am

This is quite a tricky chord to "finger" because all your fingers get bunched up. Practising a chord in isolation isn't that much use because you need to learn to find it as part of a sequence. And if you can't find it, then fitting it into a tune you already know can be frustrating.

Finally, as I was doodling yesterday (off work ill!) I found this sequence which is fun, and has moved my playing on quite a lot in a couple of hours.

G push 1 bar (on a C/G that would be C)

Em Push 1 bar (on a C/G that would be Am)

C pull 1 bar (on C/G that would be F)

D pull (half bar) D7 pull (half bar) (On a C/G, that's G, G7)

Play this in a lazy 4/4 rhythm and you get that corny but fun sound of about 1,000 bubblegum doo wop songs from the late 1950s, early 60s. You can easily improvise a melody line using the first four buttons in the G row (C row) on the right hand.

(For extra authenticity, sing the words, "Sincerely" or "Darling" or just "Oo-oo-oooh" at appropriate moments.)

Playing in a lazy 4/4 rhythm gives you various options for each chord, playing the bass note first, then filling in the chord one or more fingers at a time on the later beats of the bar.

This gives a context for practising that tricky chord shape, and makes a nice change for me from playing Morris and folk melodies. Seriously, it has helped me a lot, so I thought I'd share it.

For extra excitement, every so often add:

G push 1 bar ©

C pull 1 bar (F)

G push 1 bar ©

D pull 1 bar (G)

Now, just off to buy a 57 Chevrolet...

Doesn't Levy present a version of this in his tutorial book? I can't recall the details...

Ken

I have no idea. I know I haven't invented it from scratch as it's so corny, but I did stumble over it and find it both fun and helpful. I'm not sure my neighbours would agree.

The C pull can alternate with Am pull if you play the A on the right hand. For that darker doo wop sound.

Mike,I too was doodling recently ........on my ADG melodeon.........but working on basses before trying them on the anglo and by pure chance I came up with this sequence.

D A Bm F#m

G D G A

Try it and see what you think...................needs a name of course :D

Robin

Mike,I too was doodling recently ........on my ADG melodeon.........but working on basses before trying them on the anglo and by pure chance I came up with this sequence.

D A Bm F#m

G D G A

Try it and see what you think...................needs a name of course :D

Robin

The famous Tinkerbell's Blunderbuss.