Dipper/scard Bass Anglo On Ebay

doodle

Just a short note to say that I am selling my 33 button Bass Anglo made for me by Colin Dipper/Robin Scard ( in 1990 ) and which must be pretty rare by any standard. I've put it on ebay 300179858058 today 6th Decenber'07 for a 10 day run. It's virtually like new, having been only played a little at home, which really is a waste of such an amazing box (although I don't feel guilty about this as I have loved it). I am not being entirely altruistic in parting with it, as I want to sell it to offset another concertina purchase, which I've already made - the pension won't cover everything these days and my wife is understanding, just not THAT understanding - so I hope it gets a good price and goes to a keen player, who'll give it the exposure and exercise it deserves! I'll answer any questions and meet any buyer (UK) if it helps. Don't miss this one - you'll probably never see its like again. Tony in sunny! south west England

Any chance of a shot of the other side of the reed pan..? And what is the lowest note? Is it G two octaves lower than a standard G/D?

Not my instrument (sigh! :(), but I believe the way the naming works for anglos is:

• piccolo: 1 octave above standard C/G
  • high G/D: 1 octave above standard G/D
  • standard C/G: lowest left-hand note (C row) is 1 octave below middle C
  • standard G/D: tuned a fourth below standard C/G
  • baritone: 1 octave below standard C/G
  • bass: 1 octave below standard G/D

I don't think the terminology for anglos is as close to standardized as for Englishes (and even for Englishes, there are still some differences of opinion). In part, this is because variation in the central keys is far more common. There's only one standard family of English concertinas, where the piccolo, treble, tenor, baritone, and bass are all built around the key of C. The rare exceptions have names like "treble in Bb" or "tenor in F".

In playing the anglo, the standard C/G corresponds roughly to the "treble" English, though it's lowest note actually matches the "tenor" (including "tenor-treble") English. The anglo that corresponds to the English tenor is a standard "G/D" (but also F/C and Ab/Eb), though the word "tenor" is rarely if ever used in classifying anglos. As with the English, the "baritone" anglo is an octave lower than the "usual", so an octave lower than the standard C/G. Also as with the English, the "bass" is then considered to be an octave lower than the "tenor", i.e., 1 octave below the standard G/D, not 2 octaves lower, which would then have a lowest note pitched below the lowest note on a piano. :ph34r:

Any chance of a shot of the other side of the reed pan..? And what is the lowest note? Is it G two octaves lower than a standard G/D?

Chris

Hello Chris

I hope I've covered the octave issue in my ebay response, however Jim has posted a response here which is far more expert and confirms my "suck-it-and-see" attempt! Good old cnetters! I can certainly take further pictures, but I've got to find out how to get them on the net......not a strongpoint in my case. If nothing appears soon, please give me an email address on the message service and I'll send some on. Sorry, but I'm pretty lame with IT stuff and I don't have access to a teenager to sort me out!. Tony