English Or Anglo?

I think I made the right choice, but I'm not that sure that the choice of system is all that important. Firstly, I think I'd be happy with any system as long as the concertina itself played well. Secondly, if I knew a lot of other concertina players who played the sort of music I like, then I'd be inclined to follow their lead for the support that would offer.

In a way this is a mirror image of my view. Where we both agree, I think, is that it's possible to get too hung up on looking to "experts" to steer you to the "right" choice.

I strongly agree with what you say about beginners instruments. You get what you pay for with concertinas, and even a beginner can benefit greatly from a better instrument. After all, to misquote Kipling rather badly: a spouse is only a spouse, but a good Concertina is a Squeeze.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Chris

The problem for newcomers, repeatedly evidenced here, is that there is just too much choice! In some areas the choice may be more obvious, e.g. C/G Anglo for Irish or, arguably, G/D Anglo for Morris, but for more general instrumental playing or accompaniment, any system could be used and all systems seem to be used. I think I first wanted an Anglo because it seemed the most 'folky' option. Then I thought it would be too limiting for song accompaniment. But if I'd started with a better Anglo in the first place and I'd approached it differently (another story in itself), I might have stuck with it. The only thing that concerns me slightly about the Crane is that I may not be able to play it fast enough to keep up with others in a session, but we'll see.

Richard

I think I made the right choice, but I'm not that sure that the choice of system is all that important. Firstly, I think I'd be happy with any system as long as the concertina itself played well. Secondly, if I knew a lot of other concertina players who played the sort of music I like, then I'd be inclined to follow their lead for the support that would offer.

In a way this is a mirror image of my view. Where we both agree, I think, is that it's possible to get too hung up on looking to "experts" to steer you to the "right" choice.

I strongly agree with what you say about beginners instruments. You get what you pay for with concertinas, and even a beginner can benefit greatly from a better instrument. After all, to misquote Kipling rather badly: a spouse is only a spouse, but a good Concertina is a Squeeze.

Chris

But if I'd started with a better Anglo in the first place and I'd approached it differently (another story in itself), I might have stuck with it.

Although I'm now attempting to play a Crane, I thought it might be useful to elaborate the issues I had as a beginner with the Anglo. These perceived issues related to English-style - i.e. playing melody on the right and chords on the left - and have no relevance to Irish-style players. My concerns were with the following:

1. Melodies that fall below the RH buttons disrupting the LH accompaniment. This isn't really a problem when playing in G on a C/G, but it is a problem when playing in D on a C/G or G on a G/D. Ironically, my Crane faces the same problem. As it happens, however, most of the tunes played in my local folk clubs and those which I'm currently learning are all in G!

2. The chord shapes are very irregular, some chords aren't available on both the push and pull, and alternate RH fingering is sometimes required to fit the push/pull chord on the LH. This really put me off. However, if you play in parallel octaves and thirds following the melody line (i.e. the way Dan Worrall describes Kimber playing) and you can live with the unconventional chords resulting, then these concerns are eliminated.

Richard

As David B has already touched on there is also a third system, the duet. You may have already discounted it as more complex than you need, of course; it has that reputation.

The only reason Duets (any system) have a reputation for being more difficult to master is, that the expectations are higher. You are expected to play not just the melody, but some sort of chords, bass, countermelody, and/or parallel 3rds or 6ths along with it.

However -- if you are willing to play just the melody (at first, anyway), you can leaern to play tunes on a Duet with just your right hand, or crossing over between sides -- just as easily as on an English or Anglo.

In fact, Duets are deliberately made easier to play on one side or the other -- unisonoric, and no alternation of adjacent notes between hands.

So if you want to pick out tunes in a hurry, get a Duet. Warning: the other bad rep Duets have, is being expensive. There are no really cheap (a la Rochelle/Jackie) Duets; Stagi Hayden lists over $800, vintage Lachenal Cranes go for nearly twice that lately.

If you do spring for a Duet, at some point you will learn to accompany yourself and not waste half the instrument :rolleyes: And for accompanying singing, the ease of forming bass and chords on the LH side will let you use that other half. You'll have a terrific instrument even if you never use both sides at the same time! --Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

But if I'd started with a better Anglo in the first place and I'd approached it differently (another story in itself), I might have stuck with it.

Although I'm now attempting to play a Crane, I thought it might be useful to elaborate the issues I had as a beginner with the Anglo. These perceived issues related to English-style - i.e. playing melody on the right and chords on the left - and have no relevance to Irish-style players. My concerns were with the following:

1. Melodies that fall below the RH buttons disrupting the LH accompaniment. This isn't really a problem when playing in G on a C/G, but it is a problem when playing in D on a C/G or G on a G/D. Ironically, my Crane faces the same problem. As it happens, however, most of the tunes played in my local folk clubs and those which I'm currently learning are all in G!

2. The chord shapes are very irregular, some chords aren't available on both the push and pull, and alternate RH fingering is sometimes required to fit the push/pull chord on the LH. This really put me off. However, if you play in parallel octaves and thirds following the melody line (i.e. the way Dan Worrall describes Kimber playing) and you can live with the unconventional chords resulting, then these concerns are eliminated.

Richard

These "concerns" are precisely what makes trying to master the anglo so fascinating!

In fact, Duets are deliberately made easier to play on one side or the other -- unisonoric, and no alternation of adjacent notes between hands.

So if you want to pick out tunes in a hurry, get a Duet. Warning: the other bad rep Duets have, is being expensive. There are no really cheap (a la Rochelle/Jackie) Duets; Stagi Hayden lists over $800, vintage Lachenal Cranes go for nearly twice that lately.

Indeed - I made leaps and bounds in my playign when I started playing a duet, theres no going back for me. listen to the Anglo players whine and lament for C# or too many D's, or whatever note is missing to play whatever tune it is they desire at the moment.

Be brave, be bold, step forward and step up -

DUET!

You shall never regret it young box player, if old foolish Hooves can learn to play it, than anybody can...

Cranes Rock!

Look at me!!! Two posts in one day!!! Things are actually slow at work..I just finished up an hour on my English. About 100 years ago...(1975 to be exact) I heard & saw my first concertina. It was at a small club in NH called The Folkway. A fellow by the name of Guy Wolff was playing it...that did it for me. I had NO idea about Angola...I wanted what HE had....and have never had a regret.

I've tried a few Anglos since then...I might as well be playing a bag of snakes. I didn't have the opportunity to try both at the start...if you have the chance...grab it and let you heart tell you the rest.