Wossat?

david robertson

It would seem there is yet another variety of concertina. Anglo, English and Duet I've heard of but what on earth is a Double? :unsure:

An experiment by Wheatstone which never caught on and was eventually abandoned. A pity, in my opinion. For more information, look here.

And there seem to be several duets out there with "unique" keyboard layouts. I put that in quotes, because I can't really be sure, but there are a few (including my own Pitt-Taylor, and one in the avatar of C.net member "aeolina") of which only a single example has been reported here, so far.

Then there's the Linton system. Often classed with the duets, it's not, since it doesn't have a complete scale on either side, much less both. Like the English, it has half the notes on each end of the instrument, but with all octaves of a given note (e.g., all the F#'s) on the same end. As far as I know, the only example of a Linton is now in the Horniman Museum. In his time, Mr. (or was it Professor?) Linton was apparently quite famous for what he could do with it, but I'm not aware of anyone following in his fingersteps.