Kitty Hayes Tribute Concert

Guest Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

Not sure it's useful posting it to the forum but I'd like to draw your attention to a concert to be held in Glor in Ennis Co Clare on nov 15th paying tribute to Kitty Hayes, at 81 still flying it.

Kitty will be joined in the concert by friends Eoin O'Neill (bouzouki), myself (pipes and flute), Josephine Marsh (accordeon, fiddle and concertina), Mick Kinsella (harmonica and concertina) and Dympna O Sullivan (concertina). Singer Tim Dennehy will also take part and Pat Costello will be MC on the night.

We're all looking forward to the night and hope to see as many familiar faces.

more info on the

Glor website

It's a long time since I've been in Ennis, once a place I regularly visited and was very fond of, but wow! That Glor centre looks superb. Just toured the website and it's mighty impressive.

Peter, I would say any events relating to your performances / sessions / and tributes are very relevant to us. You are our connection to the music in west Clare for this forum. Kitty Hayes is amazing, and I await the report of the performance. Mabye a list of tunes played and the various groups of performers would be possible.

Guest Peter Laban

I am just back from Ennis, it was a tremendous night: Kitty was flying and the hall was filled with friends, family and neighbours. Kitty started the first half playign four sets with Eoin on the bouzouki, joined by Dympna for two sets after which I took over for four sets. AFter the break Tim Dennehy sang two songs after which Kitty, Eoin and Dympna played another two sets. After that Mick, Josephine and myself joined Eoin and Kitty for three more and Dympna joining again for two more.

I'll put up one or two clips tomorrow.

Guest Peter Laban

I had a request for more so I have posted three more files.

First Kitty, Dympna and Eoin playing a set of reels: Corner House/Old Torn Petticoat

Second the ‘band’ (Josephine playing the fiddle here and Mick both concertina and harmonica) playing the slip jigs: An Cheannabhain Bhana/Hardiman the Fiddler

And finally the last bit of the regular set, with Dympna joining the band on the Bflat/F concertina. Tim Dennehy does the introduction and sings a parting song before we blast off into Cooley's jigs

This last file is 3.4MB, in case you’re on a connection like the one I am on myself.

Here's a note of appreciation to Peter, who enviably lives in "Irish Concertina Dreamland", please don't stop posting. I certainly don't think I'm alone in thoroughly enjoying your take on the news/sites/sounds of Clare. Thanks!

~dave