One Hole Too Many...

I've just acquired a 38k Lachenal Anglo in Bb/F (more or less). One curiosity, though: the left end has 18 buttons but 19 holes in the action board. (The spare hole has been blocked with a glued-on leather disc.) There's also a vacant pair of reed chambers in the reed pan, corresponding to the spare hole. Has anyone come across anything like this before?

I've just acquired a 38k Lachenal Anglo in Bb/F (more or less). One curiosity, though: the left end has 18 buttons but 19 holes in the action board. (The spare hole has been blocked with a glued-on leather disc.) There's also a vacant pair of reed chambers in the reed pan, corresponding to the spare hole. Has anyone come across anything like this before?

I restored a 39-button Jeffries once that had been sadly abused including removal of 3 buttons and action and (expertly) blocking off the holes in the action board. Strangely, some of the reeds were left in place.

Yes I have, I just put it down to the oddity of the Anglo as a system, by assumming that the instrument was made for a custoer to a specification

dave

By the way, Dave, I thought that was a pretty good price you got it for!

Really? I thought it might have been a bit over the market, since Chris Algar was the under-bidder! But I actually put in a high max bid because I may well keep this one for myself and sell my 38k Jeffries. The Jeffries is wonderful, but I don't play for Morris any more, and it's really a bit too loud for singing with!

Incidentally, there's no question of abuse with the Lachenal - there has never been an extra button, and there's no trace of any alteration to the action.

By the way, Dave, I thought that was a pretty good price you got it for!

Incidentally, there's no question of abuse with the Lachenal - there has never been an extra button, and there's no trace of any alteration to the action.

lately the 30-buttons have been going around GBP1100-1200. This is a bit of a rare bird and in nice condition so I would have expected around GBP1400-1500.

Re the missing button, I wonder if they had standard reed pans and this buyer actively didn't want the extra reeds (for weight reasons?). It all seems a bit odd to me.