Help Me!

hi,

i have set my hopes on purchasing a concertina. however! i know nothing about them. i have been reading up on the internet but it seems all a bit complicated. so i was just wondering if any old hands could tell me, as a small handed, new player, female :P which type should i start with. from what i gather so far from "research" i would like 30 buttons, but do i want an anglo or...another type :D! and also, how would i go about begining to teach myself? i guess there's books and the like? and lastly, how do you know if its good or shit, cause i don't want to let m nieve self get rigged into buying something thats jst gonna break!

any helpers?

ta.

o wait one more thing!!! check this link out if you have time, is this the type of thing that i should be going for? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=014

thanksx

Edited by thego-by

[ i don't want to let m nieve self get rigged into buying something thats jst gonna break!

That one's gonna break.

Where do you live? Are there any other concertina players living near you? Are there any makers near you.

As a general rule, Anglo is best for dance music, English system is best for Classical or for accompanying songs......but this is only a general rule. Many players can prove this rule wrong.

There are some good student models available for about £500 ish English pounds.

It's hard to find a cheap concertina....you just can't make them in a factory, they're all hand made and take ages to build.

The one you spotted..........once the reeds go out of tune, and it will happen very quickly, then that's about it.

Yes, there are plenty of good books and websites.

Don't let your dream slip away though. Concertina is a great instrument; one that offers new challenges every day.

Phil

Hi thego-by

Here are three of the best resources for beginners on the net. (in no special order). They all have a how to buy section.

http://www.concertina.net/

http://www.concertina.com/

http://www.concertina.info/

One difference between Anglo, and English is personal choice. An Anglo has different notes push and pull. An English has same notes push and pull. My mind gets lost on the Anglo, so for me an English is the choice.

I wouldn't suggest the Hohner on Ebay. I would suggest a Rochelle, or Jack/Jackie from here: http://www.concertinaconnection.com/ . They have a great trade in policy when comes time to upgrade. They have been well received since their introduction as a great minimum beginners instrument. There is probably a dealer close.

Do you play music now? What style of music would you like to play? What part of the world do you live in? I'm not prying, it might influence some answers.

Glad you found us. You'll like it here. :D

Leo

(sorry Phil we were posting at the same time)

Edited by Leo

If you search YouTube you will find short videos of people playing. That might give you an idea of what appeals to you.

The common two types are English and Anglo, although there are other sorts too.

Anglo is a push/pull instrument, which means the tuning is similar to a melodeon or harmonica: different notes depending on whether you are pushing or pulling. With 30 buttons you can fairly easily play in at least two keys, with some extra sharps and flats.

The English is fully chromatic (you have all the black notes you need to play in any key) and you get the same note whether you are pushing or pulling.

On that simple description, you'd think the English was more versatile and possibly easier. However...

Some people just can't make head or tail of push pull instruments, try as they might. Others (e.g. me!) can't get a tune out of an English for love or money. I borrowed one for a month and practised every night and never got it to sound like music.

You really need to try one, and see if it likes you.

As a general rule, buy the best instrument you can afford. For a budget beginner's box, the consensus seems to be a Jackie (English) or Rochelle (Anglo).

As a general rule, Anglo is best for dance music, English system is best for Classical or for accompanying songs......but this is only a general rule.

I wouldn't trust that "general" to run my army. That "rule" is bigoted crap!

(Nothing personal, Phil, but you've hit one of my "hot buttons".)

There are plenty of examples of players of each system (and also the various "duet" systems) doing excellent justice to all kinds of music... in particular, English for dance music and anglo for accompanying songs. And I've heard even more examples of "players" of each system doing life-threatening damage (my opinion, of course) to each of those genres. It's not the instrument, it's how you play it, and that can depend on your being comfortable with one kind or another.

I would say that Mikefule's advice above is much more helpful. And thego-by, if you have the patience to wade through many other threads which treat these subjects (opinions regarding different concertinas for different kinds of music, as well as what might be "best" for you), try the Search facility here on Concertina.net.

hey,

cheers for the advice. i think im leaning towards an english...however my nearest seller (not sure if its a maker too) is in kilburn so i'll go and have a try out there first. i'm from just outside london

I do play music at the moment yes i'm a guitarist, which i love and been able to get to a good levl at and my band is gettting increasingly "folkier".

I'm looking to travel in 2009 and want as many travel proof instruments with me as i can!

ta

hey,

cheers for the advice. i think im leaning towards an english...however my nearest seller (not sure if its a maker too) is in kilburn so i'll go and have a try out there first. i'm from just outside london

I do play music at the moment yes i'm a guitarist, which i love and been able to get to a good levl at and my band is gettting increasingly "folkier".

I'm looking to travel in 2009 and want as many travel proof instruments with me as i can!

ta

If by seller in kilburn you mean the accordian shop dont bother. My experience with them was that they regard all melodians and concertinas as toys. There is a branch of Hobgoblin Music in central london, and another down at crawley where you will get much better advice and selection.

If by seller in kilburn you mean the accordian shop dont bother. My experience with them was that they regard all melodians and concertinas as toys. There is a branch of Hobgoblin Music in central london, and another down at crawley where you will get much better advice and selection.

I´ve been to the shop in Crawley and I thought it was ideal for trying out different types of instruments. They had a big range of concertinas in the shop and very patient people working there. It wasn´t a problem at all to pick up what I liked and to try everything out.

Christian

That's good idea; it's a friendly jolly weekend, they cater for absolute beginners and have slick tutors who, on saturday night will show you what can be done if you try (they do a little show). I'd give them a ring and see if they think it'll work if you dot about between the system classes though; it's rather based on the idea that you already know if you're an Anglo, duet or English player.

Hobgoblin Crawley certainly used to be their main 'concertina' branch and they used to have a 'box player on the staff.

There are 3 systems; duet hasn't been mentioned; there is no useful 'entry level' duet so it's a bit of a leap of faith. They are regarded as 'difficult' by other systems, chiefly because you are expected to play to a higher standard straight away. They'll have a duet or two at Crawley, probably, and certainly a duet class at Kilve. The WCCP even had a loan instrument or two I think, but what that's about I don't know. (they do more than just Kilve). As a musician you should find out about them too before deciding.

Edited by Dirge

That's good idea; it's a friendly jolly weekend, they cater for absolute beginners and have slick tutors who, on saturday night will show you what can be done if you try (they do a little show). I'd give them a ring and see if they think it'll work if you dot about between the system classes though; it's rather based on the idea that you already know if you're an Anglo, duet or English player.

... and certainly a duet class at Kilve. The WCCP even had a loan instrument or two I think, but what that's about I don't know. (they do more than just Kilve). As a musician you should find out about them too before deciding.

The October Kilve meeting differs from the original, and continuing, March weekend in that it is specifically for begginers. So, it seems a good place to try different systems and see which you fancy. The duet tutor is Brian Hayden himself, inventor of the duet system of the same name. John Dipper is teaching begginer English, and there are two different levels of anglo catered for. In addition, Colin and Rosalie Dipper will be there giving mainenance workshops and advice, plus lots of experienced players more than willing to chat and advise. All this in one place for a whole weekend!