How Do You People Do It?

Ah, but dust is a protective layer... and I know that I won't be lying on my death bed thinking.... "if only I'd done more dusting" :P

Amen!

I have a full time job, I'm trying to launch a full-time writing career, I have 4 dogs, 2 cats, and am far busier with religious activities than any three sane people put together. And sometimes the music group I'm in gets together and practices (not today, because we're having a NASTY ice storm...)

Oh, and I'm about to join a gym. And I just signed up for swing dance classes with my hsuband (they only meet once a week).

My house is not pristine, or even clean 90% of the time. Fortunately my spousal unit does all the cooking, more than 50% of the cleaning, his own laundry, all the grocery shopping, and at least 50% of pet care chores. And I can do some writing/editing and a lot of coordinating of religious activities while at the day job.

And I want to learn English concertina, and guitar, and piano, and I'm still a novice concertina player...

But you know what? I wouldn't give up one little bit of any of it!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but dust is a protective layer... and I know that I won't be lying on my death bed thinking.... "if only I'd done more dusting"  :P

Bellowbelle: Have you tried Paw Paw orniment for your dry skin? It has a thick consistancy like vasaline, and I swear by it :)

Cheers all,

Morgana  :D

Hmm, well, if dust is the thing, no one will even have to trouble themselves to bury me! I can just stay right where I fall, and in a few days, I'll be totally undercover, around here! ;)

I had some training while living off of a a dirt road in Iowa...one of the farmers' wives out there told me that, living there, I would simply have to learn how to live in dust. There was no escape. In fact, I had a less dusty life, out there. For some crazy reason, this place is worse. I didn't want the driveway all paved...it might help a tiny bit if we did that, but, not much, especially not again all the tree pollen and stuff.

Fortunately, I don't seem to be allergic to that, no hay fever and so on. Just poison ivy (we've become one...) and this dryness.

I run an essential oil diffuser and/or a water humidifier. Helps. I 'sell' essential oils (all explained at my website) but I'm not really living off that or anything -- I just love the oils and they do help. (I dust once in a while, but, it seems about like trying to drain the seven seas one cup at a time...)

This year, though, the oils haven't been quite enough to save me from the cracking skin. I'll have to look into that Paw Paw lotion for my 'paws!' (hmm, I looked it up online, I see it called 'lucas' paw paw...don't know if that refers to its tree of origin or what? Hmm...appears to be the company name, not a tree! heheh)

Edited by bellowbelle

Wendy,

I have heard that udder cream is very good for dry hands. Yes, the cream that farmers put on the well udders of cows. I have not tried this but have heard this over the years from several different sources.

As to whether you would want to tell people what is on your hands, that is purely up to you.

Helen

I have heard that udder cream is very good for dry hands.

Yes...I've seen that for sale, 'bag balm.' My brother's father-in-law likes that stuff, I think....but, right in the town where my brother lives, they make something called....um, I think, 'Badger Balm'...that's good, too. NOT made from badgers...made with olive oil, I think! I just found this random link: Badger Balm

It's really 'cute' stuff...of interest that it's made in the little 'nothing' town (I think?) where my brother lives, since I think about all they have there are a few people and things like badgers.

I KNOW that a heavy-duty, all-out exercise program might save me. It has, before. I only ever went to yoga classes in the first place because of pain. Yes, it did work. But, I DO exercise, a lot, just in daily life, walking dogs, etc....I don't want to admit that I really should work out, too!

Sometimes, I really think of moving to a summer-only climate, but, I would be homesick.

oh, the link doesn't work, I think...anyway, can use badgerbalm.com

Edited by bellowbelle

Oh golly, Wendy, and they have JOB openings at the badger balm place. Maybe we could all work there because it would be so cool to say you were a badger balmer.

Don't exercise. It's cruel and inhumane.

Helen

Morgana - to come back to your original comment, do you really mean you only own FOUR tin whistles ?

I mean, even if you only own one of each pitch there's Bb, C, D, Eb, F, and G...that's without getting into different metals, those mellow-toned wide-bore Irish-made ones, and the low whistles, not to mention ones with funny mouthpieces, and Clarkes. I think you've been stinting yourself.

In our house we have a mugful sitting on the shelf.

GP

Morgana - to come back to your original comment, do you really mean you only own FOUR tin whistles ?

Yep - and I haven't managed to get a decent sound from any of them yet :)

Cheers

Morgana :)

...it would be so cool to say you were a badger balmer.

As opposed to a badger bomber, or a badger embalmer? They all sound balmy to me. Or how about a bomber (or embalmer) badger... or badgerer?

In England, Badger is a brand of ale. I don't know about "Balm" or "Balmy", but they do have an ale known as "Old Peculier". ;)

Yes, Jim, I was definitely thinking embalmer when I posted that. I think you should appy. Then you could float between two continents to work.

Really, you need to spend more time in the states. I am not sure exactly why, I'll work on that.

Helen

Today, I've quite literally slathered on the essential oils (a mix of carrier oil with geranium and another blend that's got a 'lower note') and have worn thin plastic gloves most of the day, just like they're a second skin (washing them and changing them as necessary).

Everything hurts to the touch,without the plastic gloves. My thumb scraped lightly on something this morning, and split like dry paper. I haven't played my concertina except for about 5 minutes in the past week, maybe. I'm going to play it tomorrow morning, though -- with or without gloves.

This condition is not new to me...this is the main reason I quit bothering with the guitar (and any stringed instrument). But, I was so proud of myself for having it all straightened out....then, it's baaaaccckk..!

For the record, since (as is obvious by parts of my website) I am an Independent Distributor theoretically selling the essential oils I use, I'll note here that I also use another company's products. (It's a long story....let's just say, they're both very good, and one actually introduced me to the other.)

Today, however, I also made a decision. I MUST 'do it or die,' as they say....fix this, that is. I am going to get back into a routine of meditation and yoga. I'm not going back to a class, shall do on my own. I ordered a book today on Mudras -- especially for the hands (and breath, too). I never did a whole lot with mudras, and, since my hands are mainly what's afflicted, that sounds like a good place to start. The book is Healing Mudras : Yoga for Your Hands by Sabrina Mesko.

I went to several classes in the past for Hatha and Kundalini, Feldenkrais, and some Kripalu yoga. I'm certainly no gymnast, but...it's not that, anyway. No point in standing on my head. Though, playing the concertina while standing on my head might certainly get me noticed.... :D

Ironically, while it's the practice of yoga that helped me so much and got my weight and etc. all balanced, I blew it all (maybe) by going to work (a few years into practicing) at an Ayurveda Health Center. I started 'eating right.' --Yeah, RIGHT...! Got fatter and quit exercising.

So, the point is...I'll be a WAY better concertina player and have things working right once I get back into practice. I don't feel that I have ay other choice.

'Yoga Mudras For Concertina Players'....?? (Hmm, might sell 3 copies...)

Edited by bellowbelle

Helen, I didn't buy *any* -- but I thought loong and hard. And then thought of you :)

Wendy, I'd be interested in more info about the mudras. I may order that book myself. I fight carpal tunnel every day.

I hung out with a bunch of Tibetan Buddhists for a while until I finally got the message from Other that their path was not for me. Still, there's lots there that I respect a great deal.

Also worked for an alternative medicine college in DC for a year or so. Learned a *lot*

My playing is my meditation. I find there's nothing better for me to keep me in the present than playing concertina because if my mind tries to wander off, I mess up the tune! As mine is in the shop for an undetermined amount of time, I'm wondering if now is when I should re-try three-hole pipe...really wig the husband and the dogs out! Seriously though, making music is a spiritual practice for me, and I'm feeling the temporary loss very much.

I'm wondering if now is when I should re-try three-hole pipe...really wig the husband and the dogs out!

I once made myself a tabor pipe in G from a length of copper plumbing and a plug of wood. A bit heavy, but much less shrill than a Generation 3-hole in D!