Need Keys Replaced

There aren't any real concertina technicians here in California so far as I know. There aren't many in the US--Button Box, Greg Jowaisas, and Bob Tedrow are the only ones I can think of who will take in repair work. There is at least one accordion tech in the Bay Area (Kimric Smythe) who I've heard has done some work on traditional concertinas, but it's not really his area of expertise.

If the reed frames that you want to switch are the same size as each other, you might be able to do this yourself to at least see if you get a decent tone with the reeds switched. If the reed frames are different sizes, someone more skilled than me will have to respond as to whether this can successfully be done at all.

Just curious--what part of the state are you in?

Daniel

Hi, If you needed a couple of accidental keys switched around for a Jefferies C/G anglo, does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere local to California? Thanks

Hello la de da,

You need to let us know which accidentals you intend to switch.

The most common accidental rearrangement is at the top two buttons of the RH accidental row (30b instrument). Those used to a Wheatstone/Lachenal system are accustomed to having the push C# on the top button. The Jeffries layout has the push C# on the second button and a pull C# on the first button.

I remember Chris Ghent telling me that Jeffries only used about 8 different shoe sizes. (Chris marvelled at the reed making ability that was able to get so many notes with so few shoe changes) So if your swap is for notes fairly close together on the chromatic scale the shoe sizes have a chance to be the same.

I would recommend getting the Dave Elliott Concertina Repair Manual and reading through it. If it makes sense to you and if you are confident in your mechanical abilities (working with small tools, taking things apart and more importantly, putting them back together again!) then you might have a go at swapping shoes. The real trick is to know when you are in over your head such as having difficulty removing a shoe with anything other than your fingers. Then it might be time to seek professional or more experienced help.

Most repairers and restorers want players to be able to do the routine things to maintain their instruments. The problems occur when too little knowledge or experience is combined with too much force or an irreversable procedure.

All instruments, and especially Jeffries, need to be treated with respect and reverence.

Greg