Lachenal Laptop

We are having a musicians gathering this Saturday. I fear that my, "laptop" will be the only Lachenal there.

Over one hundred musicians and dancers have booked for the dinner at least,post-1882-1186142784_thumb.jpg so it looks like being a good event.

Chas

We are having a musicians gathering this Saturday. I fear that my, "laptop" will be the only Lachenal there.

Over one hundred musicians and dancers have booked for the dinner at least, so it looks like being a good event.

Looks like fun, but I'm already committed to something else. (It seems to be a very popular weekend for events... a colleague's wedding, a big agricultural show, other folk events in Sweden, and more.)

Who's leading the Northumbrian tunes course?

Will your Lachenal take part in the instrument exhibition?

Looks like fun, but I'm already committed to something else. (It seems to be a very popular weekend for events... a colleague's wedding, a big agricultural show, other folk events in Sweden, and more.)

What kind of agricultural show? Equipment? Livestock? Produce and crops?

Alan

I've just consulted the friend I'll be helping. It's really more of a "wool" show, with livestock -- various sheep, goats, llamas... -- and woolen goods, but no machinery. And probably not "big" by US standards.

I've just consulted the friend I'll be helping. It's really more of a "wool" show, with livestock -- various sheep, goats, llamas... -- and woolen goods, but no machinery. And probably not "big" by US standards.

She doesn't race the sheep like they do on the island of Sark ? Does she Jim ?

Chas

Pipes worshop by Andy Watchorn with the help of wife Margaret.

Edited by fidjit

Actually, being a wool show, it could be every bit as big as any comparable event here. With the Ohio State Fair going on, There building for that purpose is older and small, and while the wool will be there the entire time, the sheep goats and llamas will be rotated through one species at a time. One of my purebred sheep clients told me that the biggest show was in New England for sheep. (This was some time ago when I was still actively involved in agriculture.

Alan

One of my purebred sheep clients told me that the biggest show was in New England for sheep.

Alan

Sorry Alan, but I could not resist asking - how many talking purebred sheep do you have among your clients? :D

- John Wild

One of my purebred sheep clients told me that the biggest show was in New England for sheep.

Alan

Sorry Alan, but I could not resist asking - how many talking purebred sheep do you have among your clients? :D

- John Wild

When I sold feed and livestock equipment, I would refer to the client by the type of operation--Cow calf, dairy, farrowing, farrow to finish, club calf, club lamb, etc. So a purebred sheep client would be one that raised purebred sheep for show and breeding purposes. A feedlot client was someone who finished out beef, not a talking feedlot.

Alan

Ah. We all had a great time. And my Lach was the only laptop there.

Mostly fiddles with a few nickleharps (Key harps) and Swedish bagpipes. Which are like the Galacian ones. A squeezy goat skin thingy. One hurdy Gurdy turned up too!

Instrument exhibition was Faust's Swedish bagpipes.

I did my best to uphold the English side of things with a few Morris tunes, but with an overwhelming number of Swedish fiddle players driving the "Polska" to death, it was like peeing in the wind.

Enjoyed it all though. Made a lot of new friends and even sold a few Cd's.

Chas

No, not like on the island of Sark.

Renee raises two "races" of sheep, but she neither razes nor races them.

Not long ago, though, I did sort of "race" the sheep. I was leading them from one meadow to another, past some grain fields. They were happy to follow me as long as I was running, but if I slowed to a walk they would turn aside to nibble the growing grain. So I ran the whole way (just under a kilometer, I think), with nearly 100 sheep "racing" after me. :D

No, not like on the island of Sark.

Renee raises two "races" of sheep, but she neither razes nor races them.

Not long ago, though, I did sort of "race" the sheep. I was leading them from one meadow to another, past some grain fields. They were happy to follow me as long as I was running, but if I slowed to a walk they would turn aside to nibble the growing grain. So I ran the whole way (just under a kilometer, I think), with nearly 100 sheep "racing" after me. :D

Jim, somehow I can't see you running all the way to Jamtland.

Chas

I think he missed the tongue in your cheek John... :P

Foxy

(Sheep fan)

Possibly, but the explanation was still interesting.

- John

You know, after a day of demonstrating concertinas to the great unwashed masses and stopping children from trying to pull them apart without benefit of pushihg a button, I was liable to miss anything, especially since that was read and replyed to at 12:30 am. But yeah, I knew how he meant it. :P

And I assume that the reference to races of sheep was a referal to breed, or does she have like hair sheep and wool sheep? (The sheep pasture acroos the roas to the North has been replaced with condos, and we miss the sheep.)

Alan

And I assume that the reference to races of sheep was a referal to breed, or does she have like hair sheep and wool sheep?

"Breed", yes. The equivalent word in Danish is "race". But as I think you're suggesting, in English the word "race" implies a somewhat more distant relationship than "breed" (but still less than "species", yes?). And since the two breeds/races in question are Wensleydale and Jacob's, I think "race"is appropriate even in English. The origin of the Jacob's strain is reputed to be as distinct from that of the other breeds of wool sheep as those breeds are from the hair sheep breeds.

Well, this digression has gone on long enough. It's time to insert some concertina relevance. So I'll note that the felts used in various parts of the concertina are traditionally made of sheep's wool, while the best-quality leather bits are made from the hides of hair sheep. :)

With regard to Sheep racing on Sark look here.

http://www.sark.info/index.cfm?fuseaction=...nt&cmid=486

With regard to the musical event. According to the local newspaper It must have been all a dream.

Everybody got mentioned, but not the laptop. Well have to pinch myself now to wake up!

Chas