Two Stagi's On Ebay...

Dieppe

There are two Stagi for sale on eBay:

Stagi 1,

Stagi 2.

Which almost seem perfect, or at least a pretty good deal? I haven't heard much about Stagis, compared to the constant chatter about Wheatstones, etc. Is it an Italian? I would like a 48 button EC, to upgrade from what I'm playing now.. but would I be throwing my money away on this?

I know we get this kind of question allll the time here... is either worth the "Bye It Now" price? Thanks in advance...

Edited by Dieppe

I believe he is a member here

Thanks

Leo

Cool! As he's a "Chatty concertinist" and a member here it's probably near impossible that it's a scam* or anything like that.

I guess it's more of a "my first EC was one of those cheap Chinese models, would this be worth upgrading to?" kind of a question.

(If it were a scam, it'd be a pretty darn elaborate one... Post on concertina.net forums a bunch, cultivate an old eBay account, have an interest in concertinas, etc. etc. etc...)

I'll be watching this one!

Edited by Dieppe

Cool! As he's a "Chatty concertinist" and a member here it's probably near impossible that it's a scam* or anything like that.

(If it were a scam, it'd be a pretty darn elaborate one... Post on concertina.net forums a bunch, cultivate an old eBay account, have an interest in concertinas, etc. etc. etc...)

Drat blast it! They're on to me!

Okay seriously folks, I did offer them here on this very forum, but nobody was interested.

I guess it's more of a "my first EC was one of those cheap Chinese models, would this be worth upgrading to?" kind of a question.

...and a question of whether you want to play a tenor. They are both tenors.

Oh, just bid already or click the buy-it-now button!

Drat blast it! They're on to me!

Okay seriously folks, I did offer them here on this very forum, but nobody was interested.

...and a question of whether you want to play a tenor. They are both tenors.

Oh, just bid already or click the buy-it-now button!

Well... now I'm doing marketing for ya! Heh... Seriously though I didn't see it posted before. It is nice to see an EC not coming from the UK though. :)

The question is... do I want to play a tenor? How is the key layout different from treble EC? Is it just simply missing the high octave and has a low octave? Oooo so it'll have more bass?

And of the two, though they're priced the same, which would you recommend really? From a sound standpoint? Or practical standpoint?

The question is... do I want to play a tenor? How is the key layout different from treble EC? Is it just simply missing the high octave and has a low octave? Oooo so it'll have more bass?
More like missing a high fifth, with a low fifth added. It starts at C below middle C instead of G below middle C. Ends at 3 G's above middle C instead of 3 C's above middle C. Actually the G# is the highest note.

I can't find a diagram on the net right now, and if I scanned one from a book and posted it, I am not sure how the author would feel.

And of the two, though they're priced the same, which would you recommend really? From a sound standpoint? Or practical standpoint?
They sound the same. The play the same. I don't think I could tell the difference if I were blindfolded. One of them recently has had the bellow rebuilt, so that would be the better buy. It's the one shown with the green background.

They sound the same. The play the same. I don't think I could tell the difference if I were blindfolded. One of them recently has had the bellow rebuilt, so that would be the better buy. It's the one shown with the green background.

I understand from the two descriptions on eBay that only one is a Tenor, and the other (green background), you found out recently, is an "ordinary" Treble. Or maybe you just meant that it is not a Baritone.

I'd rather have the Tenor myself. Yes, your description of the Tenor range is correct. Think of it as a compromise between a Jackie and a Jack :rolleyes:

So, is one a tenor and the other a treble, as on the eBay listings? Or both are Tenors (from C below Middle C)?

Yes, I'm seriously considering bidding on the Tenor.

Question about the button action: Do the buttons work like the early Stagis, with a flexible rubber sheath to guide them, or is it the more recent Stagi action such as used in their Hayden Duet and Anglos (no rubber involved)? Thanks.

Edited by ragtimer

I understand from the two descriptions on eBay that only one is a Tenor, and the other (green background), you found out recently, is an "ordinary" Treble. Or maybe you just meant that it is not a Baritone.

Woops. THat was a mistake. I just corrected it now. I did include the word tenor in the listing title.

Question about the button action: Do the buttons work like the early Stagis, with a flexible rubber sheath to guide them, or is it the more recent Stagi action such as used in their Hayden Duet and Anglos (no rubber involved)? Thanks.

I am not 100% certain, but I believe they are both built using the typical Stagi rubber sheath deal, in which each button is attached to the lever by a rubber sheath, and guided only be the hole in the end board.

Woops. THat was a mistake. I just corrected it now. I did include the word tenor in the listing title.

OK, I went and looked. So they really are both Tenors. Good!

I am not 100% certain, but I believe they are both built using the typical Stagi rubber sheath deal, in which each button is attached to the lever by a rubber sheath, and guided only be the hole in the end board.

OK -- that's not the answer I was hoping for, but there have been some discussions here on how to fix up such an action when the rubber goes bad.

Now to decide which one to bid on -- maybe the one with the repaired bellows.

OK, I went and looked. So they really are both Tenors. Good!

OK -- that's not the answer I was hoping for, but there have been some discussions here on how to fix up such an action when the rubber goes bad.

Awww.. now I was considering the one with the repaired bellows! Presumably the other one doesn't need to have its bellows repaired, right? :)

Okay, well then I'll bid on the other one.. :)

Woot! I won! So... I can't wait to play it! :)

Woot! I won! So... I can't wait to play it! :)

It's on its way. I took them both to the Post Office this morning.

You'll have to send the "green" one to Germany *g*

I am looking forward to playing the low fifth that I am missing now on my treble stagi...

Yours is on its way too.

It's on its way. I took them both to the Post Office this morning.

Well, I got it! It's smaller than I expected, and I haven't gotten a chance to play it much here at work...but it's definitely here! :)