Good Cajun Music Cds? Going To Cajun Camp,

Helen

I am primarily a one row player...

Cajun music on a C box is played not only in G but as of late players are going back to playing in the home key of C

it is possible to play a one row in 5 keys...

As MArc Savoy says.. if you dont have a box in C... get one

C is first choice

then a D box

and then a Bb

If you really want get into this get the Homesopun 2 Tape VCR on Playign Cajun

I have many videos this is the best so far....volume 2 is a bit advanced and a little too quick so I recommend #1 (Dirk Powell)

also for a taste of real old cajun sound in a new recordin

Contact Jude Moreau JM7cajun @aol.com

ask him for his CD... this is outstanding and the way it used to be played before

electric bass and drums an Fame.. lot of Iry Lejeune in there and BAlfa

Tell him I said "hey"....

Also do listen to Iry Lejeune.. he;s the guy that was the turning point in the sound

and role of the Cajun accordion.. died in his late 20's.. hit by a train

Good luck

Jeff

I was under the impression Iry Lejeune (who had very poor eyesight) was hit by a car while helping to change a tire on the U.S. highway west of Eunice, LA. That is the story in Ann Savoy's book and she has told it in my hearing as well.

Back to Cajun music; I got to take several lessons from Eddie LeJeune, Iry's son. He too was a stalwart of old style, refusing to play with anything but fiddle and guitar. The last time I saw him he told me he was still looking for a true apprentice or protegee. The top young talent all use bass, drums, etc. at least sometimes. Regrettably Eddie himself died untimely less than a year later, of a heart attack while at work. We miss him, but I remember his advice. Wow, could he sing too, shook the walls but it was beautiful and expressive. I'm glad I got to dance to him playing and singing some of his father's signature tunes -- unforgettable.

The Cajuns are generous people and will help you learn.

So Cajun boxes are 1-row button accordions.

And the most common box is in C.

A one row button accordion in C would have a diatonic scale in C major, right?

But the Cajun players play in G, on a C box. How?

Does Cajun music not use the leading tone (F#)?

Jeff H writes

umm... how does this work? On a C box what can you play?

In C, Am, G, Em, and F? Is it able to play just incomplete scales in those keys or are there accidentals?

If there are accidentals, where are they? Are they among the rest of the notes,

or are they on the buttons at the top or the bottom of the row?

Patrick

Helen:

Although I'm a bit late, one suggestion that has not yet been made is to visit the library. A couple of years ago when I was doing my own Cajun cram session in advance of a Mardi Gras gig, I checked through one collection and found quite a few compilations. That and the Kershaw plus some Zydeco I had already put me in good mindset for the rehearsals and gig.

I also checked out the aforementioned book by Savoy. I highly recommend that.

If you get instructional books, it's always preferable, at least in my limited experience, to get one that has an audio component to accompany the written materials.

Trust this is useful.

Don't cram too much, or you'll run the risk of being too consumed with information to be open to having fun!

ldp

;) Thanks all.

I got the Miller book and CD and the 2 Cajun videos (Dirk Powell) from Button Box. I had to go to the dentist today, so I took the Miller book as I knew I would probably be waiting a while.

The dentist was hysterical when she came up behind me. After commenting about doing my homework, she looked at the book and saw Mary had a little lamb! After they all laughed at me, I made them give me cookies!

It's okay. I won't cram. I took Ken's advice and I'm just gonna play around a little bit to have fun. I'm gonna take the very beginner's class and just plain enjoy it. No stress.

Made the mistake of telling my accordion teacher (piano accordion) that I could play Country Gardens by ear on another instrument. Well, I got blasted. Seems he's very opinionated about learning with sheet music and theory. Weeelll, I'll never mention that again. Don't care. I'm still so proud of myself. I can play one tune by ear. Ha ha.

Helen

So Cajun boxes are 1-row button accordions.

And the most common box is in C.

A one row button accordion in C would have a diatonic scale in C major, right?

But the Cajun players play in G, on a C box. How?

Does Cajun music not use the leading tone (F#)?

Jeff H writes

umm... how does this work? On a C box what can you play?

This is all explained in the front of Ann Savoy's book. I can't quote it directly because I travelled as light as possible when moving to Massachusetts and didn't bring it with me, but yes, you leave out major notes.

1st position is the home, major key. C Major, or Ionian on a C box

2nd position is what a harmonica player would call "Cross Harp." G on a C box. Technically G mixolydian, or G major with a flatted seventh. Some will recognize this as the basic blues mode (mixolydian).

I can't remember the numbering of 3rd and 4th position without Ann's book, but one would be D on a C box (yes, really Dorian minor) and the other would be F on a C box (yes, without the Bb, or technically F lydian, sort of super-major).

5th position is the relative natural minor, or A minor on a C box.

Examples (all relative to a C home key box) Hundreds for C and G.

Nathan Abshire played his Pine Grove Blues in D on a C box, if I recall right. Absolutely amazing when you listen to it, but the man was a genius after all.

The Jambalaya Cajun band (I forget which album) has a great cut where they do a tune in F. Near the end, two accordions take a duo break and everyone else drops out. One is playing a Bb accordion in 2nd position and the other is playing a C accordion in (is it 4th?) position, so they are both in F, one on each stereo track. I have listened to it many times, slack-jawed, and am guilty of inflicting it on my radio listeners a few too many times!

Any number of recordings of the Mardi Gras Song (e.g., Steve Riley) for 5th position (A minor on a C box).

Don't ever claim a diatonic instrument is "too simple for real music" in the earshot of any traditional harpist, lap dulcimist, Cajun accordionist, etc.

But,

Disclaimer 1: Tons of deeper info on modes and diatonic instruments is elsewhere in the Web; we don't have room for all of it here!

Disclaimer 2: Here I am discussing accordions on a Concertina bbs. But I guess it helps to explain Cajun music for other musicians.

Disclaimer 3: If you want to know more, try a Cajun acc bbs. There are some, though I rarely visit them as when I last checked they were clunky to use and laden with ads and cookies. Nowhere as nice as what we have here. I may be out of date on that

Too much, but you did ask.

http://pub21.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?u...rnum=1722942123

hope the link works

Train... car ? I have heard both stories of Iry Lejeune's demise

I would trust Ann Savoy's account.

Cajun players tend not to get too far from the home key and a 5th (4th) apart

the Quebec players on the other hand are all over the map. Messervier,

Gaston Nolet, Denis Pepin etc....

Jeff