Rochelle Vs Upgraded Stagi? Advice

Hi All,

Fist let me say thanks for all the advice so far. As I struggle along going into month #2 it is still an uphill battle but starting to make a little more sense. Currently I have a Rochelle, it seems to be working ok but there is a bit of a question/ issue.

The issue is this, the bass side seems quite a lot louder than the treble side. Is this normal? Is this typical of all concertinas or does balance come at different levels?

I am still omn the fence as to give the English a try. But, the question at hand is would an upgraded Stagi (e.g. button box modified) play better/ sound better and play better than the Rochelle??

Suggestions??

thanks in advance!!!

sean

Hi All,

Fist let me say thanks for all the advice so far. As I struggle along going into month #2 it is still an uphill battle but starting to make a little more sense. Currently I have a Rochelle, it seems to be working ok but there is a bit of a question/ issue.

The issue is this, the bass side seems quite a lot louder than the treble side. Is this normal? Is this typical of all concertinas or does balance come at different levels?

I am still omn the fence as to give the English a try. But, the question at hand is would an upgraded Stagi (e.g. button box modified) play better/ sound better and play better than the Rochelle??

Suggestions??

thanks in advance!!!

sean

I have played both the Rochelle and a Stagi from the Button Box. I ended up selling the Rochelle and keeping the Stagi for the time being. The Rochelle's action was better and sound was very much better than the Stagi. However, the Stagi was much more playable. The Rochelle's bellows were stiff to begin with and remained stiff after about two months of constant playing. It was a real fight that left my shoulders and deltoids sore. The Stagi had and still has just the right amount of bellows stiffness that suits me. The Stagi sound, while not as nice as the Rochelle, had a better balance in volume between right and left sides. The Stagi IMHO is also a more visually appealing instrument than the Rochelle, though the Stagi has an ugly tin foil baffle that could be improved upon. Visual asthetics however, were not the deciding factor in keeping the Stagi, but its better playability was. The Stagi also appears to be crafted from better materials than the Rochelle and in that regard may last longer. The Stagi costs alot more than the Rochelle, so one would hope it would be better in a few areas. However, the Rochelle is the best starter instrument in its own price range. My problem with the Rochelle may be more the exception than the rule, as others I believe had better luck with theirs. I keep the Stagi for practicing in C and G and for quiet playing, but the main instrument I now play is a wonderfully-built and sounding Edgley A/E.

The Rochelle's bellows were stiff to begin with and remained stiff after about two months of constant playing.

You should have just stretched them a few times, probably. Even the ultra stiff bellows of cheaper version of Arietta can't resist stretching treatment.

The Rochelle's bellows were stiff to begin with and remained stiff after about two months of constant playing.

You should have just stretched them a few times, probably. Even the ultra stiff bellows of cheaper version of Arietta can't resist stretching treatment.

Yeah, I did that a number of times, but it did not help. I do think my case was probably an isolated problem with an early Rochelle.

Yeah, I did that a number of times, but it did not help. I do think my case was probably an isolated problem with an early Rochelle.

Hm.

Tell Wim Wakker regardless whether you bought it from him or not.

Can't speak for Rochelle, but both Jack andn Jackie had pretty flexible and easy bellows. That's a bummer.

Ultimately, the best advice is to go in and play them side by side, and see which one you like best. the folks out at the Music Box are good people, and I am sure can help you come to a reasonable decision for you. I was at the Ohio Guitar Show on Sunday, and had a long discussion about buying instruments with one of the dealers. Too many folks are buying entirely on looks and reputation without trying instuments. Ultimately our goal is to make music, and both sound and ease of play needs to be considered. You are fortunately to be near a group of folks that are knowledgable and happy to help. But at the end, you are the one that is going to be playing any instrument you decide on, which means you are the one that needs to be satisfied with your decision.

Alan