Jeffries - White Lion Passage

wes williams

We've talked about White Lion Passage, Jeffries address c.1870, being at the side of the Metropolitan Theatre in Edgware Road, Paddington but until recently we've not managed to find a picture that shows it. This photo from 1948 shows the entrance to White Lion passage in the centre, under the 'Krispa' sign. The pedestrian is reading a poster for the 'Met'; there are posters each side of the entrance. Although its difficult to make out, the entrance archway is rounded.

post-119-1176722606_thumb.jpg

Wes,

what was the original intention of these photos? They look like scenes from a movie. In the second shot it looks like the people are running, not an easy shot to take with 1948 technology on a wet night night, and the third also looks like a scene from something interesting. Nice careful lighting job, note the shape of the pillar over the poster and the diagonal shadow leading away from the lamp, which is not the lighting source (compare that shadow with the characters shadows).

Best etc

Chris

what was the original intention of these photos? They look like scenes from a movie...

They are, Chris. Its 'The Blue Lamp', which will be well known to many if I say Dixon of Dock Green (cue theme on free-reed chromatic harmonica; Tommy Riley? All together .. see you on the corner, tomorrow morning....). I've known that this film was centred around Paddington for a few years now, but only got around to getting a copy a couple of months ago. And there, as luck would have it, was White Lion Passage. The only other photo I've seen is the last one on this page

No sign of 23 Praed Street on the film though. Possibly bombed?

Edited by wes williams