What Sort Of Concertina Is This?

Hello,

I’m new to concertinas and I’m still deciding what sort I want to play. I saw this and was wondering if anyone could tell me more about what type it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjycHhW_G40

The clip is from a Russian TV programme. The man playing the concertina is called Nikolay Bandurin (Николай Бандурин) and is part of a musical comedy act. I have tried to find out more about his concertina, but I don’t understand enough Russian. The only information I could find was that it was made in 1899.

Is it an English?

Is it a recognisable make?

What gives it its “Russian” sound or is it just the way he plays it?

What would be a similar concertina today?

Sorry if these are daft questions,

Cheers,

Tim.

I could be wrong, but the thumb strap makes it look like an english concertina. The "Russian" sound would be due to the key he is playing in. Russian songs are in minor keys.

Is it an English?

Is it an English?

Hello Tim,

It looks like a 56-key extended-treble English, probably a Wheatstone or Lachenal judging by the fretwork, and finished in amboynawood judging by the colour of the ends, the black edging and gilt keys. The sound is distorted by the amplification.

Many of us here play concertinas of similar vintage.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Two famous Baltic players were Gregori Matusewitch and Raphael both made their names in America and were fantastic players.For more on Gregori Matusewitch visit the article on the family by Eric Matusewitch.

Both of these artists will appear on English Internation currently being assembled.

Al

I could be wrong, but the thumb strap makes it look like an english concertina. The "Russian" sound would be due to the key he is playing in. Russian songs are in minor keys.

I don't know about the "Russian" sound: He is playing the Mexican song "Besame Mucho" written in 1940 by Consuelo Velasquez.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Besame_Mucho

ocd

He is playing the Mexican song "Besame Mucho" written in 1940 by Consuelo Velasquez.

... and hence the trio on maracas (though the balalaika might confuse you!) ;)

I'd be more used to hearing it performed by the Argentinian guitarist Oscar Aleman, who was the leader of Josephine Baker's band and played with Django Reinhardt in Paris in the 1930s (and hence it has entered into the gypsy jazz repertoire).

I'd be more used to hearing it performed by the Argentinian guitarist Oscar Aleman, who was the leader of Josephine Baker's band and played with Django Reinhardt in Paris in the 1930s (and hence it has entered into the gypsy jazz repertoire).

As am I. Unfortunately I did time as a singer in an Italian restaurant. Pino the PA player and Ivano the guitarist insisted we do Besa Me Mucho every evening. One can grow to hate a song in that situation. My only relief was that one of the Mexican waiters would stroll by while I was singing through the damned thing and sotto voce entertain me with some very dirty verses. :o

Edited by Mark Evans

Thanks everyone. I think I will set about learning to play the English in that case. I hadn’t heard of Besame Mucho until today, but you are right, although in the full length version they were singing amusing Russian lyrics in the verses (none of which I can understand). I will have a look for Gregori Matusewitch and Raphael.

Most of us here play concertinas of similar vintage.

that hurts.

Apologies David, but I'm afraid nearly all the players I have known over the past 35 years have played vintage instruments (there didn't used to be much else available) so I guess I tend to take it for granted, though I realise that doesn't apply to everybody elsewhere, especially today. I just wanted to convey that an 1899 English concertina isn't really such a great rarity, and is something that timw could aspire to owning ... I certainly didn't mean to hurt anybody :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers

As am I. Unfortunately I did time as a singer in an Italian restaurant. Pino the PA player and Ivano the guitarist insisted we do Besa Me Mucho every evening. One can grow to hate a song in that situation. My only relief was that one of the Mexican waiters would stroll by while I was singing through the damned thing and sotto voce entertain me with some very dirty verses.

I think I learned some of those dirty verses in Spanish class many moons ago... :o

Randy

As am I. Unfortunately I did time as a singer in an Italian restaurant. Pino the PA player and Ivano the guitarist insisted we do Besa Me Mucho every evening. One can grow to hate a song in that situation. My only relief was that one of the Mexican waiters would stroll by while I was singing through the damned thing and sotto voce entertain me with some very dirty verses.

I think I learned some of those dirty verses in Spanish class many moons ago... :o

Randy

Ah, the study of language, We always learn the shady stuff first :D If I were talked into singing it again, there would likely be a slip or I'd start laughing.

By the way, nice web site!