Not Really Concertina Related....

Hello everyone,

I have been given a hohner black dot B/C accordion and I have been scouring the web for learning resources. There is loads of stuff for the concertina and I have been unable to find much for the accordion at all. Does anyone play the B/C box in the Irish style, and if they do do they know of any resources? Sorry for the accordion question on the concertina forum, but I'm sure someone plays one.

There is a Irish Box discussion group on Yahoo Groups try there

Videos:

P. J. Hern(d)on (sp)

Well presented, fun

First tunes are played normal spped then slow then in a band setting

4 stars

Peter Browne..

More of a performance viseo with advanced techniques

3 stars

John Williams:

If you can get beyond his insufferable ego you might get somehting out of it.. I sold it.. more than I could take

He does perform a couple of "look at me" tunes on his custom 2 1/2 row Saltarelle then switches to a Saltarelle Irish Bouebe with sticking bass buttons. Considering he is a Saltarelle dealer, you might think he would have attended to this before the video

1 star

Mad for Trad.. CD/ROM I have not see this but I have heard good things... worth exploring.. I did get their Concertina material..

Publications/books...with Casette

Hanrahan....

This is awful... A good friend learned musician and concertina player is more forgiving than I... this is a total waste of money.. even the keyboard schematic in the back of the book is wrong

Written in standard notation only.. no tab...

Some decent tunes would be the only redeeming feature

half a star

All the above were gotten from The Button Box in MAss

check their web site......

Jeff

John Williams: If you can get beyond his insufferable ego you might get somehting out of it.. I sold it.. more than I could take ...

Hanrahan.... This is awful... A good friend learned musician and concertina player is more forgiving than I... this is a total waste of money.. even the keyboard schematic in the back of the book is wrong

Written in standard notation only.. no tab...

Agree with you that the Hanrahan is a waste of money but I have to say that to me, on that DVD, John Williams doesn't comes across as having an insufferable ego at all. Have never met the man, but he struck me as affable and if anything rather shy.

just have to add to the last opinion in defense of john williams, i have his concertina video with notation booklet, and would have to agree that he seems almost retiring in his affect. very unassuming. wish i lived in the east and could take lessons from him. his introspective personality comes through in his style of interpretation also. really don't understand how this person could come to this strange viewpoint. wes.

Not just my opinion...

I have also spoken with him...

and have other experiences..

I also had his concertina video.. same reaction

I respect your opinion..

my comments stand

Jeff