Concertina Music In Ghana

I was surfing the net last night, looking for sound samples or pictures of the Anglo/German concertina tradition in Ghana. There are references on the web to this High Life and Palm Wine music tradition, but so little that I fear the concertina story is the same in Ghana as it is in so many places... wild popularity when it was first introduced in the 1850 or so and then pretty much disappeared a century later. Does anyone here know more about the concertina music of Ghana?

One charming anecdote from the Clarke family tree site turned up.

William Goodacre Clarke Born: 30 Apr 1846, Cotgrave, Nottinghamshire, England

ROYAL NAVY - While in the Navy was associated with the wars of the ASHANTI, a tribe and Province in Ghana, Africa.

After having his concertina stolen on board ship, walked through lion infested

forests to Capetown, South Africa, to purchase another.

After having his concertina stolen on board ship, walked through lion infested

forests to Capetown, South Africa, to purchase another.

Lion infested forests!!

"...When the storm had settled, and the sailors finished polishing the ancors, Pedro, an old Irishmen, pulled out rusty concertina and gently squeezed pearly keys. The powerful music enveloped the whole ship and it's distinctive vibrato seemed to put a spell on pirates' minds and bring them back home, to Ireland, to it's scourching heat of the plains, where careless farmer, paying too much attention to wandering piper, could be pounced upon by unsettled lion.

The sea quietted down, through it's clear waters it could be seen that jelly-fish followed the ship on both sides of it's hefty stern, attracted by the music. The captain, a refined gentleman of african descent, brought his Pongos and joined the Irishman. A doleful song sprung from the upper aft, that housed the sailors and their captain: "Volga, Volga, Mighty River..."

Large triangular sails, having cought last glimpes of setting sun, seemed to be burning. All was quiet, as though the whole ocean was going to bed, and only sailors' sopranos disrupted the tranquility..."

Edited by m3838

This isn't concertina related but on friday I bought Golden Afrique vol 2 ( The blue one) and it is magnificent. It is Congolese rumba/soukos music and though it doesn't to my knowledge have a concertina on it it does have an accordion player (Camille Feruzi ) leading a band. For those of a jazz/world persuasion it also has a very early outing by Manu Dibangu.

It is a wonderful listen and I defy anyone not to tap their foot vigourously if not shake a leg!

I was surfing the net last night, looking for sound samples or pictures of the Anglo/German concertina tradition in Ghana. There are references on the web to this High Life and Palm Wine music tradition, but so little that I fear the concertina story is the same in Ghana as it is in so many places... wild popularity when it was first introduced in the 1850 or so and then pretty much disappeared a century later. Does anyone here know more about the concertina music of Ghana?

Jody,

I was on the telephone today with Jared Snyder, and among other things he tells me that he has some nice recordings of Ghana concertina music. If you wish to pursue, drop me an email; I have Jared's phone number.

Cheers,

Dan

I was on the telephone today with Jared Snyder, and among other things he tells me that he has some nice recordings of Ghana concertina music. If you wish to pursue, drop me an email; I have Jared's phone number.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes Jared was telling me about the tradition, that's what got me started in the first place. He promised to send me some mp3s of 78s he has. There seems to have been quite a local market for those shellac 78s back in the day. The masters are supposed to exist somewhere in the Neatherlands but for lack of funds they have not been properly cataloged or released on CD. I might have a detail or two wrong, but that's the story.

If Jared's 78s are as good as his tintypes they must be something to hear.