Desperately Looking For Squashbox!

squirrellydave

Sorry I keep replying to myself...but is it possible to get a converted concertina to play this squashbox style?

Or is it difficult to make the conversion? What would be the best type of Concertina to approximate their sound? I've read it's a 20 btn Anglo, but is there a specific model or maker that is commonly used?

thanks!

Dave

That's a hard CD to find--it took me months to scare up a copy when I was looking a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, I put it on an Amazon.com wish list and set it up as a favorite search with e-mail notification on eBay, and a copy eventually turned up.

I just took a look at Kalie De Jager's site, but only saw references to CD's by white South African musicians who I don't believe play what's usually referred to as squashbox music. Might have missed something though, since I don't read Afrikaans...

Daniel

Hi, I've been searching hi and low for the cd called Squashbox...south african concertina music.

If anyone has one to sell, or a copy, please let me know! It is out of print and I cannot find it used.

Please contact me directly.

thanks,

Dave Murray

Dave AT spectacularopticals.com

Dave,

I think that you should try to contact Sean Minnie of South Africa. He is the resident concertina historian and contributed to an article on the Squashbox as used in Black townships. His email address is: info@boeremusiek.org.za and his home telephone is: 011-27-12-379-2904. Sean Minnie also made a contribution to the Charles Wheatstone 200th birthday celebrations in N.Y. a few years ago on behalf of South African Boer Music. Sean also manages a website on Traditional Boer Music: http://www.boeremusiek.org.za and this website has bilingual (English and Afrikaans) information.

When you don't succeed at first ... you try and try again. Sean might be able to help you or refer you to the right resource.

Cheers,

Ben

thanks Ben, I'll check it out...

Dave

Squashbox concertinas were usually Honer 20 button or East German Scholer 20 button anglo instruments. Also known as "Boer konsertinas". I should know - I used to play one in SA.