A Dodgy Wheatstone?

david robertson

I've encouraged him to post a few more pictures and give a range and comparison of tuning to a piano.

Most folks in the USA leave for Thanksgiving vacation tomorrow, Wednesday.

We'll see.

If his story of finding it in a second hand store is correct i know where I am spending my next vacation and what i will be doing!!

Happy hunting!

Greg

It looks pretty genuine to me. It's a pretty late model though. I had one very similar (my second concertina) and it was quite a nice instrument.

I have lived in California for quite a long time, in different parts of the state. I have also been to numerous Goodwill, Salvation army, and other local Thrift stores. I have never seen a concertina at one of these stores, much less any other musical instruments, but I would guess there are some lurking about.

I think this is due to the fact that people don't just give stuff away like they used too, nowdays most people actaully sort through thier junk and pick up the good bits, and it shows up on eBay...

Thanks to eBay and shows like "the Antique Roadshow", lots of people are or have combed through these stores, but you never know, I have found some good stuff at thrift shops and resold for a nice profit. The best items seem to me to be things that get looked over, have you ever talked to a Radio collector?

I suspect this chap, if he did find it at the local thrift shop, will make quite a profit, and begin his combing of all local shops for another gold nugget.

I have lived in California for quite a long time, in different parts of the state. I have also been to numerous Goodwill, Salvation army, and other local Thrift stores. I have never seen a concertina at one of these stores, much less any other musical instruments, but I would guess there are some lurking about.

Well, no concertinas for me either, but in the state of Indiana earlier this year I found a very nice model professional trumpet at a thrift store for 30 dollars. It had clearly belonged to a high school kid (serial number from the early 1970s) as it was all hammered up with dents. I got it ironed out and refinished by a professional repairer for 300 bucks, and it looks practically new. It is worth considerably more than I have in it, but that doesn't matter. I'm not sellling it, I'm playing it! It is a wonderful instrument, and I love playing it. Appropriately, I will probably play it with the Sally Army band in a parade this Friday. Time to go practice a bit.

You never know what life will bring.

Ken