Help About Hayden Duets

felix

Hello, I'm Félix Castro, from Galiza - Spain

A person from here wanted to buy a Hayden Duet concertina, and he asked me for help!

Any body has any experience about duet and hayden concertinas? (I don't)

I know that there are several in the market (Dickinson and Dippers are too expensive for him)

I know that there are stagis, another russian project (it is finished?), that Bob Thedrow has them too (Do you know how much do they cost?), are there another options?

Any body tried all of them and can tell me something about? (Differences, prices...)

Thankyou in advance

Felix Castro

The Russian project never got off the ground. It has been forgotten for several years. The Stagi is the only real choice at the moment, as they can be bought off the shelf. They are not great instruments but people seem happy with them. See my write-up 1/3 of the way down this page. I have heard that Tedrow has made two or three Haydens. I know nothing about them. You might want to get in touch with him directly through his website.

You might also want to see Bob Gaskins' article which makes a reasonable case for choosing a vintage Maccann over a Stagi Hayden.

I play a Wheatstone Hayden and love it, but you won't find many like it anymore.

The Russian project never got off the ground. It has been forgotten for several years. The Stagi is the only real choice at the moment, as they can be bought off the shelf. They are not great instruments but people seem happy with them. See my write-up 1/3 of the way down this page. I have heard that Tedrow has made two or three Haydens. I know nothing about them. You might want to get in touch with him directly through his website.

You might also want to see Bob Gaskins' article which makes a reasonable case for choosing a vintage Maccann over a Stagi Hayden.

I play a Wheatstone Hayden and love it, but you won't find many like it anymore.

Thankyou very much

As you know I play anglo, and here in Spain the concertinists can be counted with the fingers of two hands, the person who asked me is a young man (or boy), in his twenties or less, I think, I only spoked to him by phone. First, he asked me about anglos, then the last time he told me about hayden duets.

I asked him about maccanns because there are more available, but he is sure about hayden.

He plays the bagpipes too, but in concertinas he is a newbie, and he told me that he wanted to spend about 900 euros.

In the web page of Bob Tedrow there are hayden duets with nice photographs, but I think that they are much expensive than Stagis...

Are there any tutor available for learning to play Haydens?

Felix Castro

Thankyou very much

As you know I play anglo, and here in Spain the concertinists can be counted with the fingers of two hands, the person who asked me is a young man (or boy), in his twenties or less, I think, I only spoked to him by phone. First, he asked me about anglos, then the last time he told me about hayden duets.

I asked him about maccanns because there are more available, but he is sure about hayden.

He plays the bagpipes too, but in concertinas he is a newbie, and he told me that he wanted to spend about 900 euros.

In the web page of Bob Tedrow there are hayden duets with nice photographs, but I think that they are much expensive than Stagis...

Are there any tutor available for learning to play Haydens?

Felix Castro

Hm.

If your friend is a musician and knows his way around the instruments, and wants Hayden so much, may be

he can experiment with accoridons. He would need smallish 5 row Chromatic with 5/6 row Stradella (or 3 row free bass) and re-shuffle the reeds to make an approximation of Hayden. May be he'll like it so much, he wan't need a concertina. And it's going to be cheaper too. I think Chromatic Button accordions are not rare in Spain. And if liked, put an order for Tedrow's.

I had Stagi Hayden for two weeks. Didn't like it much.

900 Euro is about what it would cost to buy a Stagi Hayden via The Button Box and have it shipped from the USA. Here in the USA it is best to buy the Stagi from The Button Box, because they test and repair any notes that are not speaking properly and in tune.

In Spain you could probalby get one directly from Stagi for much less money, but it might need some work done to it.

I have a Button Box Stagi Hayden, and have been happy with it after 2.5 years, only minor problems.

You would probably have a long waiting time for a Tedrow. A good approach is to buy a Stagi Hayden and put in an order for a much nicer one that will be ready in a year or two.

Are there any tutors available for learning to play Haydens?

Felix Castro

If you know music and chords and scales already, you can pretty much teach yourself to play the Hayden system. You do need some guidance to avoid developing bad habits (like avoiding the baby finger and playing too much oom-pah bass).

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer