Noel Hill Fingering Technique

Marcus

Can anyone elaborate on the Noel Hill fingering technique?

I can refer you to this site with an interview with Noel where he discusses his fingering technique.

http://www.celticmusic.com/magazine/interv...interview.shtml

Beyond that, its best to attend one of his schools. You won't regret it!

Is it just cross rowing or is there a lot more to it? I tend to try to play across the rows anyway and have done from the get go. I'm wondering if there is a major difference in the way Noel plays the basic scales as opposed to the way Mick Bramich demonstates in his book. Mick gives alternative scale paths using a mostly pull or a mostly push method.

I'd love to attend the Noel Hill school, but I think I'll have to wait a while or hope he comes to Bermuda and doesn't mind teaching while on holiday!

Can anyone elaborate on the Noel Hill fingering technique?

Hi Marcus,

I've also wondered what it was beyond drawing out phrases, thus crossing rows.

The students must get a lot out of the courses in terms of ornamentation and embellishment, camaraderie, and the chance to hear one of the finest players in the business.

I was given to understand each of the 3 times I attended his course (and it was made pretty plain by the organizers, T. Koosman et successors), that Noel's system is one of the things you're paying to learn. What he has worked out and teaches others is how he makes his (pretty modest) living. I understand this to mean when someone asks me what the fingering methods are, that I respond, you need to attend yourself and find out. I know that may frustrate inquiries like yours, but I respect this understanding. I encourage you to plan and work toward the day you can attend; you'll get a lot out of it besides fingering.

And anyway, there are any number of successful systems for fingering Irish on anglo. You can use Niall Vallely's CD tutor, or Frank Edgley's book, for example. I always advise players to start on one system and stick with it long enough to make progress. After that, adding/trying other ways to finger is a long but productive road. Good luck, have fun!

Ken