I'm Making Bold, Large-print, Easy-read Lead Sheets

bellowbelle

If I hold my concertina to play it while I sing, well, then, I can't hold a faintly-printed, tiny little sheet of lyrics or chords in front of my nose. What to do?

I recently got some nice wooden book stands that work well as music holders on tables or floors, and I"m making very bold, large-type lead sheets for myself.

Eye glasses would do no good, at least not the ones -- non-prescription ones -- that I'm told to wear. In fact, though the glasses help me read the labels on bottles and so on, they make me blinder when it comes to looking at something from a few feet away.

So, anyway, of course I am adding these lead sheets to my 'website' which is now simply my Yahoo! Briefcase. They're not too fancy, kind of primitive-looking, but...I'm happy that they work!

I expect to get together and work on some Christmas songs with a friend, this weekend, if all goes as planned. So, now I'll have some nice VISIBLE lead sheets.

If I hold my concertina to play it while I sing, well, then, I can't hold a faintly-printed, tiny little sheet of lyrics or chords in front of my nose. What to do?

I recently got some nice wooden book stands that work well as music holders on tables or floors, and I"m making very bold, large-type lead sheets for myself.

Eye glasses would do no good, at least not the ones -- non-prescription ones -- that I'm told to wear. In fact, though the glasses help me read the labels on bottles and so on, they make me blinder when it comes to looking at something from a few feet away.

So, anyway, of course I am adding these lead sheets to my 'website' which is now simply my Yahoo! Briefcase. They're not too fancy, kind of primitive-looking, but...I'm happy that they work!

I expect to get together and work on some Christmas songs with a friend, this weekend, if all goes as planned. So, now I'll have some nice VISIBLE lead sheets.

There are available large plastic magnifying sheets which you could lay over the top of your music.Any society for the blind or people with sight difficulties would advise you where you could get them.When my Wifes Grandfather died I sent his back for someone else to use.They are about twelve inches square(300mm)

Al

Those magnifying sheets are available in most stationery stores. The ones I have are fesnel lenses and need to be held a few inches from the page. Most of them are floppy but I have one which is about 1/8 inch thick and rigid which is much easier to use. I've noticed that my bifocals don't work well for music on a stand-- if I'm playing fiddle the print is in the wrong place; if I'm playing concertina the angle is wrong in a different way--- if the stand is at the right distance and height for one instrument it will be wrong for the other!

My solution to the need for large print has been to use abc2mtex and then put a magnification command in the header. So far that works, but I'm also working hard to learn how to play (and pick up tunes) by ear. I want to be able to play music in my old(er) age when I lose my central vision. I recently met a man who has lost all of his vision to retinitis pigmentosa who said that having the ability to play and enjoy music is a great benefit for him.

I was looking at some magnifying sheets in a low-vision catalog once, and then I did happen to see them in a local store (Hallmark? I think). Hmm, might be nice to try that for some sheets, to not have to make special large ones.

Tried to find out about abc2mtex but I need to look again....mainly I just need to type out lyrics, though, and toss the chords onto the sheet.

One of the bookstands I got is still being offered on eBay -- item number 110042408699.

.......met a man who has lost all of his vision to retinitis pigmentosa who said that having the ability to play and enjoy music is a great benefit for him.

Yes, I think that a hardship like that can make the music seem much more precious!

As I get older and sense myself 'fading away' -- hands, eyes, ears, teeth....(no, don't say 'mind,' this time...)

I am often reminded of the Cheshire Cat, when he said to Alice, 'You may have noticed that I'm not all there, myself' -- as he gradually disappears, one part after the other. I think his smile is the last thing to go.