The Trouble With Anglo Concertina Availability

In due course the current fad for Irish folk will have run its course; the Anglo will revert to it's original state as an economy instrument for those who can't afford better and there will be a glut on the market as a result of the (relatively) high modern production supplementing the antique supply.

Well that's kind of offensive - an Anglo as the economy instrument for people who can't afford better? What instruments are you claiming as "better?"

Even though I prefer the Anglo concertina I wouldn't say it's better or worse than other instruments. Just different, and my preference.

In due course the current fad for Irish folk will have run its course; the Anglo will revert to it's original state as an economy instrument for those who can't afford better and there will be a glut on the market as a result of the (relatively) high modern production supplementing the antique supply.

Well that's kind of offensive - an Anglo as the economy instrument for people who can't afford better? What instruments are you claiming as "better?"

Even though I prefer the Anglo concertina I wouldn't say it's better or worse than other instruments. Just different, and my preference.

knock, Knock...

Is this the right room for an argument ?? :lol:

:ph34r:

D

knock, Knock...

Is this the right room for an argument ?? :lol:

:ph34r:

D

Next thing we'll be told us old guys can't have instruments with rosewood ends and then we'll be insulted in French! ;)

Edited by Paul Read

Next thing we'll be told us old guys can't have instruments with rosewood ends and then we'll be insulted in French! ;)

messieurs bonsoir, je suis venu pour rassembler vos concertinas de bois de rose. Je les remplacerai avec des kazoos. ;)

(diolch yn fawr babel fish)

Yes well with babble fish you get what you pay for. Apart from several small points of language, surely "kazoos" should read "accordéons"?

Pob hwyl!

Yes well with babble fish you get what you pay for.

I thought, as a translation, it had a definite 'busker's' edge to it. Very free reed. I'm sure all french readers will forgive me, I had a lovely holiday in the stunning Ardenne last year.

Apart from several small points of language, surely "kazoos" should read "accordéons"?

Pob hwyl!

I'm new here so I thought I ought to tread carefully. (I won't mention my 48 bass key, perhaps noone will notice)

Edited by Missing Song

Well, now, let's see if we can further muddy these already murky waters...

There's been a lot of hoot and holler about the high end instruments, and the distribution and pricing thereof, and I have read with interest. But what about a true Midrange price?

I can't nurse my good 'ol Snagglepuss (Bastari) along for much further; the old girl is losing her breath and her voice grows thin with age. She is getting cranky. She deserves a cozy retirement. Ah, but a glance at the bank acount tells me that I can only afford yet another Stagi, or another beginner level instrument. the "intermediate" concertinas out there are a long step away from the entry level-priced boxes. I'm afraid I just can't justify, even to myself, the extra money it would take to even aspire to the Morse, Tedrow, or others that have been mentioned as "midrange" instruments. Good Lord, my son starts college next year and I expect to be beggared by that alone! :ph34r:

Yes, I have waded through all of the above pages of opinion, commentary, vituperation, ect. that have gone before, but if I could wish, I'd like to see a very good quality instrument, a sight better than the low-end Chinese or even Italian boxes out there, that wouldn't force me to shell out a couple thousand clams for the privilege of serenading my furniture without having to stop to commit major surgery on the button action, bellows,etc.

But I ain't gonna get all whippy about it. I'll just continue to drool over the great looking boxes offered by the community and save my pennies.

Wistfully,

Robert

I was only boggling at the idea of frets on fretless banjos.
I never thought that my banjo was particularly special even though it used to be fretless. It's a Stewart from 1879 that was originally fretless (you can tell by looking up the serial number and by that it has dot inlays up the side of the neck to indicate where to put your fingers) that someone fretted - pretty poorly apparently as many of the frets were removed, filled and new frets installed. Not a pretty banjo, but it plays reeeeal nice!

-- Rich --

There's been a lot of hoot and holler about the high end instruments, and the distribution and pricing thereof, and I have read with interest. But what about a true Midrange price?

I can't nurse my good 'ol Snagglepuss (Bastari) along for much further; the old girl is losing her breath and her voice grows thin with age. She is getting cranky. She deserves a cozy retirement. Ah, but a glance at the bank acount tells me that I can only afford yet another Stagi, or another beginner level instrument. the "intermediate" concertinas out there are a long step away from the entry level-priced boxes. I'm afraid I just can't justify, even to myself, the extra money it would take to even aspire to the Morse, Tedrow, or others that have been mentioned as "midrange" instruments. Good Lord, my son starts college next year and I expect to be beggared by that alone! :ph34r:

Yes, I have waded through all of the above pages of opinion, commentary, vituperation, ect. that have gone before, but if I could wish, I'd like to see a very good quality instrument, a sight better than the low-end Chinese or even Italian boxes out there, that wouldn't force me to shell out a couple thousand clams for the privilege of serenading my furniture without having to stop to commit major surgery on the button action, bellows,etc.

But I ain't gonna get all whippy about it. I'll just continue to drool over the great looking boxes offered by the community and save my pennies.

Wistfully,

Robert

Make the kid pay for his own education, my dad did. (All right, there were eight other childrenliving there when I left for university, and nine by the time I was supposed to finish, so there really wasn't any money around for education, but that is beside the point)

Alan

Wistfully,

Robert

I wonder, what brought you to concertina in the first place?

I think people with an acute awareness of their bank accounts (like me nowadays :blink: ) should consider

other possibilities of making music - harmonica, ukulele, button accordion. There $1000 make more than enough investment for a lifetime enjoynment. Concertina world is still for priviledged (reasonably speaking).

Of course, pretty much everybody can afford a Morse, even you, Rober. But I assume, such purchase will

provoke intencive bombardment from the better half and will jeopardise the sacred marriage.

Interesting, we all are making unreasonable payments for many unnecessary things: insurance premiums,

cable TV, movies, restorants, but somehow we accept their worthiness. But each year worth of movies,

there goes our Edgley.

I remember, when I mentioned to my wife, that I am going to buy Chinese made 2 row Parrott, her face expression became rigid: I was going to waste $300 on entertainment! My next purchase was Castagnari for $1800 - she was OK with it.

The list that followed?

5 Hohners $100 each

Russian bayan at $1000 (a steal!)

Weltmeister at $1100 (another steal)

Another Weltmeister at $300 ( a steal, of course)

Hohner Club at $500 (steal again)

George Case at $1000 (waste)

20 button Lachenal at $400

The legacy continues... :D

Now if I only bought the best instrument I could afford from beginning... :unsure:

Wistfully,

Robert

Buy your son a concertina and let him start his own 'profesional' group at university this could save money in the long run. Unless of course he gets so good that he aspires to owning a Jefferies. Hang on a sec isn't this where we came in ;)

chris

Guest Peter Laban
Dear Mr Mccabe, I think if you are are as fine a player as you are a Merchant Banker [rhyming slang} you will be very successful and I look foreward to attending your performances.

That was quite unnecessary. I only just now read the initial post of the thread, contrary to what was said, Uilleann pipers have much more trouble finding a decent instrument than Concertina players. There's no harm in discussing the situation is there? As long as we don't start calling eachother wankers ofcourse.

Edited by Peter Laban

There's no harm in discussing the situation is there? As long as we don't start calling eachother wankers ofcourse.

Ah Peter, I haven't thought of or used that word in a decade. You gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

There are several "characters" I will have to interact with today at the job site and "wanker" will be loudly proclaimed inside me noggin'. :P

Dear Mr Mccabe, I think if you are are as fine a player as you are a Merchant Banker [rhyming slang} you will be very successful and I look foreward to attending your performances.

That was quite unnecessary. I only just now read the initial post of the thread, contrary to what was said, Uilleann pipers have much more trouble finding a decent instrument than Concertina players. There's no harm in discussing the situation is there? As long as we don't start calling eachother wankers ofcourse.

Oh blush me yet again. I thought it was rhyming slang for Chain Yanker. :rolleyes: