Rochelle Feedback Wanted

lynnji

Hi--I'm on the verge of ordering a Rochelle and plunging into concertinaland, but first wanted to hear any more feedback from those who've had one for a while now. I saw the previous threads about it. If you have one, are you still happy with it? If you haven't made any comments on yours yet, what do you think? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm wondering too if it would be worth waiting for a few months, so any kinks in these first batches can be worked out. Thanks.

Hi lynnji,

I'm very happy with mine. Only real niggle was a broken spring which was easy to replace (Concertina Connection sent me several when I contacted them about this). Mine gets played every day and it seems to be getting better over time as it loosens up. I've not found any other Concertina of similar quality for anywhere near this price.

Whether you should get one now or wait a bit I can't say. Personally I usually prefer to wait for the first few batches of something so that the niggles are ironed out - but most of the potential issues with the Rochelle should have already been encountered and addressed in the creation of the Jackie/Jack boxes.

Good luck

- W

I have a Rochelle and so far it's been great. I had a slight problem with some dust in a reed when it arrived, but I contacted Wim (the maker) and he taught me how to fix it. Pretty easy actually. He's also great for support if you have any problems with it. For the price, it really can't be beat.

I enjoy the Rochelle. I find the G row a bit uncomfortable to play across the row (when I do play that style for octaves or bounce) and look forward to trying other concertinas to experience any comfort difference.

Its a good value.

I much prefer the Rochelle's sound over the Stagi and enjoy playing it. However, I'm still hoping the bellows loosen up more as it takes a lot of effort to play, expecially faster pieces. The bellows, while stiff to extend, seem a little loose in contraction in that they flop together with a "floppy" noise as I'm playing. The noise is in time with the music, but its not really the acoompaniment I was seeking. Also, I'm a little disappointed with some of the higher pitched reeds. They are slow to "speak" and are sometimes completely drowned out by lower notes when played simultaneously with them. I don't have this problem with the Stagi.

The Rochelle is a mixed bag, but for a low price (relative to other concertinas), you get a serviceable starter instrument that has great backup from Wim Wakker, and is much better mechanically designed than other new instruments from China in the $100-$300 price range. Its not the last concertina you'll ever own if you continue, but it serves its niche well. It will allow you to play, get better, and determine if you want to continue playing. I have no problem recommending it as a starter.

Its not the last concertina you'll ever own if you continue, but it serves its niche well. It will allow you to play, get better, and determine if you want to continue playing. I have no problem recommending it as a starter.

Well said!

I have had mine for a month now. I started on this concertina and I like it very much. I did get one cracked reed but it afforded me the oppurtunity to make a trip to the Button Box where it was replaced tout suite (sp?). I cant really compare it against much because I started out on this tina and the only other ones I have played were when I went to the BB. I got to play a STAGI (Didn't like) and a Caeilli ( I liked). I thought, in my limited very inexperienced opinion, The Rochelle sounded as good but was bigger and bulkier than the Caeilli. The response was quick (for me) as the Caeilli but the lareger size definitely made it a little cumbersome. Hands down, I liked it far better than the Stagi. I would highly reccomend a Rochelle to any beginner. The only problem is I am now jonesing for the next level.

I much prefer the Rochelle's sound over the Stagi and enjoy playing it. However, I'm still hoping the bellows loosen up more as it takes a lot of effort to play, expecially faster pieces. The bellows, while stiff to extend, seem a little loose in contraction in that they flop together with a "floppy" noise as I'm playing. The noise is in time with the music, but its not really the acoompaniment I was seeking. Also, I'm a little disappointed with some of the higher pitched reeds. They are slow to "speak" and are sometimes completely drowned out by lower notes when played simultaneously with them. I don't have this problem with the Stagi.

Cary,

It's like a different instrument. I had neither of these problems, I wonder if the bellows improved?

Also, all my high reeds are still very responsive. I wonder if yours need to be gapped?

Edited by stevejay

Cary,

It's like a different instrument. I had neither of these problems, I wonder if the bellows improved?

Also, all my high reeds are still very responsive. I wonder if yours need to be gapped?

I don't know. By "gapped" do you mean sliding a razor blade or thin piece of paper under the reed and gently lifting it once or twice. I haven't tried that on this instrument. The bellows are not really improving. I played the Rochelle each day for about 6 weeks and did not notice any improvement yet in the bellows. I still assume this will occur with time.