G/d Layout?

Oddly enough, the Concertina FAQ has them for both Wheatstone and Jeffries here.

Chris

Thanks, I forgot about that page.

I had an interesting discussion with Bob Tedrow recently regarding how useful a Jeffries G/D layout is in comparison to the Wheatstone/Lachenal configuration. There are obvious reasons for the differences in the C/G Jeffries and Lachenal, but the reasoning behind the same changes in a G/D setup didn't seem as important.

What are your thoughts?

There are obvious reasons for the differences in the C/G Jeffries and Lachenal, but the reasoning behind the same changes in a G/D setup didn't seem as important.

What are your thoughts?

I have anglos in both layouts, but I'm not sure how useful my experience is. My Morse is Wheatstone layout, and I use it mostly for North West Morris - relatively uncomplicated tunes that rarely take me much out of the two main rows. I get a lot more adventurous with my Jeffries, but that's partly to do with it being the wonder box that it is as well as having 38 buttons.

I think I mildly prefer the Jeffries layout, but I don't think it's a big issue. If you had the chance of a Wheatstone Linota before a Jeffries I wouldn't let the keyboard layout stop you.

Chris

Could you talk a bit about the general differences between G/D and C/G?

I'm thinking of switching from B/C box to concertina due to a problem with my left hand, and Rich morsesuggested that G/D would be a better choice. I don't have any real experience with concertina, so I don't have any idea what this means in terms of how you get around the buttons (I see that more of the notes used in Irish music are on the right, but that's as far as it goes). According to the Niall Vallely madfortrad disc, he's using a different group of left-hand buttons on the C/G than I would have guessed from looking at the button layout, so I'm thinking I don't know enough to think about this. Any thoughts on this?

Greg

Playing a G/G in C and G/D in G will give you the same experience, BUT playing a C/G in G and a G/D in G is a very different experience. Both are completely possible, though. Using a G/D tends to make life easier if you like chordal acompaniments. Since the melody is frequently split between both hands on a C/G chordal accompaniment is more difficult, but on the other hand playing a melody line can be faster and maybe easier. There's an awful lot of generalisation in that, though. Best thing, as ever with tinas, is to try both out if you can.

If you search the forum you will find quite a lot on C/G v. G/D. It's almost as common a discussion as English v. anglo, and gets almost as acrimonious (or as acrimonious as anything gets on this notably even-tempered forum). I sometimes wonder what the players of other instruments ever find to talk about ...

Chris