I Need Some Advice.

Wow... I go away for a week and I really miss out. Excuse the rambling reply to pretty much everything in the thread so far.

Repth, I hope you're still around to see my reply... I'm one of the few here who plays Chemnitzer Concertina (the kind that David Edwards of 16 Horsepower plays). I also play 5-string (low B ) bass guitar, and have played in punk bands before. I think I know what you're after on the low end.

I think m3838 already told you as much, but the true "upgrade" from the mini accordion is a 1-row box like this:

arietmed.jpg

It will have a powerful bottom end, but is limited to only 2 bass notes & 2 chords. May be tough to fit into your band.

woah man that band was amazing, what are they called? but yeah that is the sound im looking for. hopefully i can get something that sounds that low for a price pretty low..
16 Horsepower... I'll echo what Stephen Chambers said: a solid Chemnitzer like that will be way out of your range. There are now only 2 individuals making them; I recently heard that a new one from Hengel is now $11,000.00 (yes, Eleven Thousand Dollars). You might get a used one in the $1,000.00 range. There are plenty out there that are cheaper, but they won't have that same bottom end. There's a Patek for $1,600 here: http://www.concertinamusic.com/sbox/classifieds.html

Until I saw you picked up a piano accordion, I was going to suggest a bayan, type of Chromatic Button accordion. You can pick up a cheap Ukrainian starter model for $300. I like the bass tone (and the treble FWIW) of Russian accordions better than the Italian ones, although quality may be harder to guess in Soviet-era instruments.

Check out Iva Nova, a Russian group using bayan in a rock setting. Try this track: http://dl.zvuki.ru/3/0106/mp3/8.mp3

oh, i live out in Illinois in the USA. I'm guessing that a store or a tutor would be out in chicago, seeing as how Carpentersville is out in the middle of nowhere.
I would bet you could find somebody out your way. There's a weekly session of Chemnitzer players out in Cary... That's even more remote than Carpentersville. There has to be an accordion teacher around.

Maybe you could sit in with The Polkaholics from time to time.

Have fun!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for the great feedback everybody. how much would you say that mine is worth?

and Theodore, how can i find out more about these people in Cary?

P.S. that picture/comic was taped up on my wall.

Edited by Repth

and Theodore, how can i find out more about these people in Cary?

Here's what I could get from concertinamusic.com:

River Bend Players (Cary, Illinois)

Leach Enterprises

815-459-6917

Members:

Description: The River Bend Players meet every Tuesday night at the Riverbend Restaurant and Lounge, 6614 S Rawson Bridge Road, Cary, Illinois.

P.S. that picture/comic was taped up on my wall.
You mean my avatar, Fred from Channel 1? I thought he was off the air (Captain Kangaroo Show) before you were born!

thanks for the great feedback everybody. how much would you say that mine is worth?

$200-$400 depending on the condition of the tuning and bellows and action

and if it is a 3 reed LMM with a bit of musette and at least a 17 1/2 keyboard

You mean my avatar, Fred from Channel 1? I thought he was off the air (Captain Kangaroo Show) before you were born!

hahaha no, that comic link laitch gave me. pretty awsome.

yeah so ive been searching for a website about the riverbend players, nothing found. Guess my talent will thrive off of videos and my imagination.

woah, same time for a response, stephen! internet high five! nice.

Edited by Repth

Check out Iva Nova, a Russian group using bayan in a rock setting. Try this track: http://dl.zvuki.ru/3/0106/mp3/8.mp3

oh, i live out in Illinois in the USA. I'm guessing that a store or a tutor would be out in chicago, seeing as how Carpentersville is out in the middle of nowhere.
I would bet you could find somebody out your way. There's a weekly session of Chemnitzer players out in Cary... That's even more remote than Carpentersville. There has to be an accordion teacher around.

Maybe you could sit in with The Polkaholics from time to time.

Have fun!

i just want to say that band is awesome and im going have get my friend who a dj at rice university a copy he love international music. thank for the great link :D

where can i get a cd that not a full russian website?

Edited by nalzalk

i just want to say that band is awesome and im going have get my friend who a dj at rice university a copy he love international music. thank for the great link :D

where can i get a cd that not a full russian website?

I haven't found a place to buy the CD; I just downloaded the mp3s they have available on the website. Their booking company in the Netherlands, MOREZVUKOV has the CD listed at 10 Euro, but doesn't seem to actually sell it from the website.