I Need Some Advice.

right, so im 15 and started self-teaching myself with one of these and ive been fooling around for quite a while now and feel its holding me back. so i want to upgrade to this.

My friend offered me a place in his band. He's making it 'Polka-Metal' and wants someone with an Accordion so... do you think i should make an upgrade? I'm 15 so i still have a long time to teach myself.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

right, so im 15 and started self-teaching myself with one of these and ive been fooling around for quite a while now and feel its holding me back. so i want to upgrade to this.

My friend offered me a place in his band. He's making it 'Polka-Metal' and wants someone with an Accordion so... do you think i should make an upgrade? I'm 15 so i still have a long time to teach myself.

Do your friends want an "accordion", or "concertina"? There is a big difference.

This company has a few descriptive pages for identification, and are very helpful with questions.

http://www.buttonbox.com/

I'd be interested in hearing your tunes from your curret instrument. What part of the world do you live in?

Thanks

Leo

hah, i only wish i had some. i dont make up any tunes of my own yet. i can just play by ear, and i told him this but all he wants is someone who is vaguely familiar with an accordion or something similar. He wants me to play low notes. so which kinda of squeeze box plays low notes?

im pretty sure this is going to be my christmas present so im not sure what my price range is.

My initial reaction would be your want in a hohner line would be more akin to a harmonica on steroids. How low do they want to go?

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

well thats what i asked him and he said "about 3 times lower than Rammstein's usual tone." so im guessing... god i dont know anything about notes but im going to say G because thats what for some reason is comming into mind. or lower than G.

so where can i find my harmonica on roids? lol.. yeah that site you gave me had a good looking one for bout $300, its a hohner.

Is the sound you and your friends want to emulate?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GrYbt1h3NbY

Another kind of instrument occasionaly called a concertina?

I suspect this would be out of your price range a little bit. I know it's out of mine:

http://www.buttonbox.com/wheathayden.html

The point being Choose the right instrument to do the job and enjoy it for what it is. Concertina, Chemnitzer, Accordion, Bandoneon are all different with a price range from cheap for mediocre to out of sight for a very nice instrument. But if it's not the right one, then price don't matter, then do it? To answer your original question: Yes upgrade. But the next question would be: To What?

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

woah man that band was amazing, what are they called? but yeah that is the sound im looking for. hopefully i can get something that sounds that low for a price pretty low..

upgrade to what? well im hoping you can help me there

goodnight.

woah man that band was amazing, what are they called? but yeah that is the sound im looking for. hopefully i can get something that sounds that low for a price pretty low..

upgrade to what? well im hoping you can help me there

goodnight.

You've just ran out of my small area of expertise, but I suspected that's where you wanted to go. It's a Bandoneon or Chemnitzer. Unfortunately I don't know anything about them, although there are others here that can help. Have a little patience until they find this post. Might be a few days. The band name is on the top of the video and there are others on the side bar from them. What part of the world do you live in. Maybe someone is close to help further. There is a guy from Texas that is into that kind of music that might help.

As an added thought; rather than the Hohner, if you elect to get a concertina, then I might suggest upgrading to the "Jack" from:

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/

It's a lower pitched instrument and a big jump in quality. Listen to their music samples. I think you will get better results and be more reliable. Their Jack/Jackie/ Rochelle are relatively inexpensive and have been reviewed favorably by the more knowledgable people here.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

but i dont think im ready for something better.

Why not???????? You're already there wanting something better in a higher price (but not by much).

I suspect the frustration factor might not be worth the cheap price, and sight unseen may not reach the notes you want? Unknown name, reliability, advice, and service if needed all seem non existent. With a Jack, if you've a mind to upgrade from that their website says they will allow full price on a trade. The end results would be thinking further in the future than next week, or next month. If you spend $175 + shipping, and then upgrade from that, you have $175 not recoverable. If you spend $279 for a Jack, it will play low notes, and be worth the whole price when it comes time to upgrade. If you elect to not like it and sell it you could probably recover most of that on a sale. Not so with a noname, unknown instrument.

Just food for long term thinking.

Thanks

Leo

i think i found something i might want

this is something i might be able to handle. its crap i know but i dont think im ready for something better.

In that case you might want to check out the Universidad de Reyes Acordeones website, where some of the habitues of this forum also hang out sometimes. You'll even find some discussion of Yingjie accordions there, though it sounds like a Rosetti might be a better option?.

though it sounds like a Rosetti might be a better option?.

where can i find a website that sells "rosetti"s?

and leo i guess your right. i never really thought about it that way. seeing as how the accordion i have now is just a toy, switching to a concertina wont give me a disavantage in expierence since i dont have much with that toy anyway.

hmm.. this is my plan; try to get the Jack and if that doesn't work il have a rossetti as a fall back plan. Now i better do a lot of sucking up to my mom or get a job..

Job would be better choice. Think long term results in years, but sounds like a plan to me. Stephen has an alternate suggestion. (Like I said Out of my understanding) He always has good advice and is very knowledgable.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks

Leo

Hm... so his advice is good?

so what is it? Jack or Rossetti?

Rossetti is a little bit more like what i have now ,but like i said, what i have now is crap.

Yup he give good advice for an alternative. Crap in your present instrument? Nah! Somewhat limited maybe in capability. It got your curiosity and interest this far to want something better. Job done good. Explore both styles of instruments before you commit, then choose wisely for the intended purpose. Personally I would choose the Jack first. Notice I said first. Then at a later time get both. See why a job works better. Whichever direction you choose, I'd suggest strongly buy from a reputable dealer and forgo the "Ebay Specials" until you get a little more experience in whats out there. :rolleyes: :)

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

so what is it? Jack or Rossetti?

Rossetti is a little bit more like what i have now ,but like i said, what i have now is crap.

Depends on which way you want to go, but neither of those options is a professional quality Patek quad Chemnitzer concertina like the one in the 16 Horsepower clip on youtube, and you're not going to get one of those for a couple of hundred bucks.

The nearest to that full sound which you'll get for the money is probably something like a Rossetti, but I don't have personal experience of them, I'm only going on what's been said on Universidad de Reyes Acordeones about the brand:

"In my point of view i saw the rossetis is way better than the ygijge.. much much softer bellows not as hard as the yinjge.. "

But the Yingjie and Rossetti three-row accordions are more what's used by beginners for Tex-Mex polka music, and if the instrument used by 16 Horsepower is what you really want to learn, then you probably need to talk to Theodore Kloba, who may be the only member here who plays that kind of box.

Otherwise, if you Google "Chemnitzer concertina" you'll get plenty of links to websites about those instruments, like Theodore's (Chemnitzer) Concertina Novice.

Edited by Stephen Chambers