English Country Music Weekend (ecmw)

Well this weekend was one of the best for English Traditional music in the calendar. The English Country Music Weekend was held in Bishop's Castle in Shropshire from Friday to Sunday. Unfortunately due to bad planning I was only able to attend yesterday although I got at least 10 hours of playing in during what felt like a very long day.

Many of the country's finest players attend the gathering and the standard of many of the performances is breath-taking. Looking around the sessions is like gazing at a Who's-who of English music. Numerous quality concertina players put me very much to shame such as Will Duke and Harry Scurfield among others including our very own Chris Timson. I was very sad to leave the late session at 11pm with a two-hour drive ahead of me as there must have been at least 100 players belting out the tunes. Next year I'm determined to stay the whole weekend! (if the wife will let me :ph34r: )

Couple of poor quality photos taken with my phone. Hopefully they will load ok.

You may notice Will Duke playing in the Outdoor session

Pete

post-53-1151277226_thumb.jpg

post-53-1151277303_thumb.jpg

post-53-1151277347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Dickey

Yes, I can confirm with Peter Dickey that, the recent ECMW at Bishop's Castle was certainly a great weekend. Fortunately, I was able to stay for the whole weekend and am now suffering from session overload. :( I have been to to the last three and they always are fantastic in my opinion. The venues are always superb. The organisation is superb, thanks to the organisers, who all do a superb job. (that's enough superbs!) The weather was good, which meant that we could have sessions outdoors, useful when the session room in The Six Bells pub was filled to overflowing. There were something in the order of 100 plus musicians there, playing a variety of instruments, including a number of concertina players, mainly anglo players. I counted about 4 EC players, including myself. Not only is it a wonderful opportunity to play with so many often really good musicians, but the opportunity to learn some new tunes, pass some on, and make some new friends. Harry Scurfield came up to me and had a chat while I was having an early morning practice on the camp site. He told me an amusing story. Some years ago, returning from an ECMW weekend, his van broke down with engine trouble. Another musician from the weekend, a woman, who also played the concertina, was following behind and stopped to offer assistance. He declined, saying he would call out the AA. Then she found her car wouldn't start. It had been raining and Harry told her the electrics electrics had probably got damp and and if she waited about half an hour, they would dry out. He suggested that they spend the time playing a few tunes together in his van. In the midst of their playing, a passing police patrol car spotted them and stopped, assuming something naughty was going on. They were most surprised to find the pair, not canoodling, but innocently making music on these strange hexagonal squeezy things. After learning of the situation, they made their appologies and left! And, half an hour later, her car started OK, as Harry predicted. Here's to next year. Dave Hunt, the organiser had a hip operation just before the event. Sadly, the operation didn't go well and he had to miss the event. We all wish you well Dave. :)

Chris

Yes, I can confirm with Peter Dickey that, the recent ECMW at Bishop's Castle was certainly a great weekend. Fortunately, I was able to stay for the whole weekend and am now suffering from session overload. :(

No, I'm sorry, I don't believe there's such a complaint. As well as the weekend itself we went to a session in Lancaster on Thursday night and tonight it's our home session in Bradford on Avon. So I guess tomorow night I'm likely to hit the opposite problem amd go cold turkey with no session at all! In the meantime my head is ringing with tunes.

I agree, a vintage year for tinas (amazing given the featured instrument this year was dulcimer). There were times in the 6 Bells when they outnumbered the melodeons!

Good to see you again, Pete. We must stop meeting like this.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sounds like you had a great time "on tour". Several people have suggested that I attend one of the ECMW events, but, as you know, I don't often venture far from Croydon (please, no jokes about Croydon from anyone who knows the place).

Looking at the photographs which Pete posted, would I be right in thinking that there were not many under 40's in evidence? My one day at Chippenham, last month, gave me a similar impression. I remember that 15/20 years ago, we were suddenly swamped by talented teenagers (which I thought was great) :) . Was this just a passing phase in traditional music? :unsure:

Regards,

Peter.

I remember that 15/20 years ago, we were suddenly swamped by talented teenagers (which I thought was great) :) . Was this just a passing phase in traditional music? :unsure:

In my experience, it's a recurring phase, somewhat cyclical.

I remember that 15/20 years ago, we were suddenly swamped by talented teenagers (which I thought was great) :) . Was this just a passing phase in traditional music? :unsure:

In my experience, it's a recurring phase, somewhat cyclical.

Maybe you just need to wait for their kids to grow up?

- W

Hi Chris,

Sounds like you had a great time "on tour". Several people have suggested that I attend one of the ECMW events, but, as you know, I don't often venture far from Croydon (please, no jokes about Croydon from anyone who knows the place).

Looking at the photographs which Pete posted, would I be right in thinking that there were not many under 40's in evidence? My one day at Chippenham, last month, gave me a similar impression. I remember that 15/20 years ago, we were suddenly swamped by talented teenagers (which I thought was great) :) . Was this just a passing phase in traditional music? :unsure:

Regards,

Peter.

Maybe all those talented teenagers have just grown up in the last 15-20 years. I was disappointed but not overly surprised to see that I at 24 was the youngest player by far at the Button Box's recent Concertina Workshop. In the 8 or so years I've been playing (though I kind of dropped out of the folk scene during college) I've only ever met two under-30 concertinists. This despite the fact that the Boston folk music scene is practically flooded with young talent right now - but they all play fiddle or accordian or something like that. This may look very different in other parts of the US or other countries.

In this area, I think there are two issues with the concertina and young people - one, it's not very visible with concertinists coming out of the woodwork only every so often; and two, young people (myself very much included) simply don't possess the purchasing power. Maybe it's just easier to start playing violin in 4th grade with everyone else at school and then switch over to fiddle later on if you or your family have ties to the folk music scene. Maybe if we convinced a music teacher to make everyone start concertina instead of traditional band/orchestra instruments - they could all start with Rochelles or something. The kids might all play the wrong notes, but at least they would be in tune.

Then again, I do get a kick out of playing a somewhat rare and obscure instrument that few other people play. I'm glad I'm not "just another fiddler," though before someone knocks me on that last comment I play a bit of that too. I do hope, though, that as I get older I'm not the only one playing - I think it's critical to maintain the strong and dedicated community we clearly have right now.

Maybe if we convinced a music teacher to make everyone start concertina instead of traditional band/orchestra instruments - they could all start with Rochelles or something. The kids might all play the wrong notes, but at least they would be in tune.

Think you've got it bang to rights. West Country Concertina Players are to be applauded for, as I understand it, wangling some lottery money to buy some Jackies which Folk South West are now using in schools and festivals with kids to, as you suggest, catch 'em young. More people should do this, and with Rochelles too.

Chris

A bit of cross threaded relevance going on here.

In More Quality Concertina Makers Required thread there was a suggestion that the ICA could sponsor an apprenticeship to a quality builder to stimulate availabiity of quality Concertinas. Maybe a better way to go would be for the ICA to follow the WCCP's lead and try to bring the Concertina into schools - possibly making some beginner instruments and tuition available. This could increase the numbers of Concertina players which would stimulate demand and hopefully lead to an increase in Makers.

I'll add a note regarding this in the other thread and open a new topic for this.

- W

Edited by Woody

Yes, well Peter, it's probably a bit too far for you to cycle! ;)

Yes, especially with the current hamstring strain!

The BBC contacted me about filming, again, this Saturday (Bargain Hunt). Guess what, they want bikes again! Still, three clear days to get the leg sorted out, and I'm supposed to be back racing next week.

Sounds like you had a great time "on tour". Several people have suggested that I attend one of the ECMW events, but, as you know, I don't often venture far from Croydon

ECMW is a peripatetic do, of course, so why don't you get it to come to Croydon?

Chris

ECMW is a peripatetic do, of course, so why don't you get it to come to Croydon?

Nice idea, Chris. I'm not quite sure that Croydon is ready, yet. :unsure:

There could be a lot of confusion over whether "country" describes the music, or location. We've had Country & Western music here before, and I guess that it would be viewed as the same music, but without the guns!

What do others think? On the plus side, we can offer trams as a method of transport. :)

Regards,

Peter.

My impression from various festivals is that there are more young people than ever playing traditional music in sessions etc. They're just not playing concertinas (plenty of melodeons, though). Maybe this is an instrument cost issue, or maybe it needs youthful a role model to step up, like Andy Cutting did for melodeon.

My impression from various festivals is that there are more young people than ever playing traditional music in sessions etc. They're just not playing concertinas (plenty of melodeons, though). Maybe this is an instrument cost issue, or maybe it needs youthful a role model to step up, like Andy Cutting did for melodeon.

Hi Brian,

A rather more "scientific" survey than my one day at Chippenham. Good news, then.

Instrument cost is being debated on another thread. Yes, we need a few younger role models, like the late Andrew Blakeney-Edwards would have been. Andrew came from a wealthy family, which I'm sure helped give him a start. However, I'm equally sure that ability was 100% down to Andrew. My regret was not seeing him play (another plug for Anglo International, here).

Regards,

Peter.

Sounds like you had a great time "on tour". Several people have suggested that I attend one of the ECMW events, but, as you know, I don't often venture far from Croydon

Chris

Well, as the ECMW is peripatectic, why don't you get it to come to beautiful Bradford-on-Avon, Chris? Oh, and re: your comment to me about session overload, I can quite happily play for hours and hours with short breaks for refreshment; in fact, I did a calculation of how many hours I spent playing over the weekend and it comes to nearly 24 hours, which isn't bad going! I think the overload was due more to the number of tunes played that I didn't know or haven't yet learnt to play, which kept buzzing around in my head afterwards, leaving me confused as to which of them I should attempt to learn first. If you enjoy playing for hours and hours too, I have a suggestion. How about having a 24 hour concertina tunathon somewhere? Perhaps participants could be sponsored to raise money for charity and we all could have fun and enjoyment sharing some of our favourite tunes with each other. :)

Chris