Chords On The Right / Anglo

A while back I was playing with a fellow who did a lot of melodies on the left side of the Anglo, chords and such on the right. It sounded really nice.

Recently I was trying to work out an arrangement of Alan D's Rosbif Waltz for an upcoming performance and it occurred to me the B part was perfect for that style of playing.

But I found it extraordinarily hard to get out of the pattern of chords-left, melody-right. I sort of got it, with practice, but I'd be interested in hearing other tales of woe, maybe some suggestions about how to get more adept at this.

And i"m wondering if there are any recordings where this kind of playing really stands out.

In the thread: John Mock - Cd "the Day At Sea", two solo concertina tunes + one with orchestration

RobKitt says:

"If you've not heard what John Mock does with the concertina, this CD is worth checking out. John is an extremely talented, multi-instrumental recording session musician here in Nashville, but grew up in New England. He has two solo concertina tunes on this CD, viz. "An Evening at the Inn" & "The Day at Sea". Another, "Roundstone Bay" has orchestration, but with concertina as the lead instrument.

I had a chance to meet John in July 05 and he was kind enough to give my new C/G a hands-on try. I was impressed; his musicality on any instrument speaks for itself. Links to his website and CD Baby are below.

http://www.johnmock.net/

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mockjohn

I gave John's site a listen and certainly enjoyed it. He has an interesting technique on one of the cuts you mentioned: John holds a high drone note while playing a single line melody underneath. I tried it and it works fine for that high and lonely Nashville sound. It's not exactly a chord but very cool.

Jody

I gave John's site a listen and certainly enjoyed it. He has an interesting technique on one of the cuts you mentioned: John holds a high drone note while playing a single line melody underneath. I tried it and it works fine for that high and lonely Nashville sound. It's not exactly a chord but very cool.

THanks, Jody; that's what I was looking for. That drone really is nice; the use of R. hand chords on "An Evening at the Inn" is pretty much like I worked out for Rosbif, although considerably more skillful.

I was surprised at how hard it is to get a steady chord rhythm going on the right while playing melody on the left.