Charlie Chaplin Plays Concertina On A Loaf Of Bread

Paul Merton is doing some Silent Movie programmes at the moment and I was watching a re run of the Charlie Chaplin feature last night.Whilst talking to his sweetheart and her father his job is to cut the loaf of bread for their tea.He cleverly cuts it in a spiral along the length of the loaf whilst holding a conversation.He sees his mistake and then plays the loaf like a concertina.

I bet he got a lot of dough for that.

Al

...Charlie Chaplin ... cleverly cuts [a load of bread] in a spiral along the length of the loaf whilst holding a conversation.He sees his mistake and then plays the loaf like a concertina.

A loaf of bread and "concertina wire", but has there ever been a real (i.e., musical instrument) concertina with a spiral bellows? :unsure:

Not a Charly Chaplin movie, but a few days ago I remembered an old Russian made movie about high scholl students, where chemistry teacher, played by superb russian actor (whos day job was puppeteer), Zinovy Gerdt, is playing a concertina. I rented the movie... Nope, fake. He just shakes this poor "concertina" like a maraccas, on every beat, and the music is nowhere reminiscent of the concertina.

I guess they just wasnted to make the character unusual.

Not a Charly Chaplin movie, but a few days ago I remembered an old Russian made movie about high scholl students, where chemistry teacher, played by superb russian actor (whos day job was puppeteer), Zinovy Gerdt, is playing a concertina. I rented the movie... Nope, fake. He just shakes this poor "concertina" like a maraccas, on every beat, and the music is nowhere reminiscent of the concertina.

I guess they just wasnted to make the character unusual.

Bing Crosby managed to get a full orchestra sound out of his twenty button anglo.

Al

...chemistry teacher, played by superb russian actor (whos day job was puppeteer), Zinovy Gerdt, is playing a concertina. ..., fake. He just shakes this poor "concertina" like a maraccas, on every beat, and the music is nowhere reminiscent of the concertina.
Bing Crosby managed to get a full orchestra sound out of his twenty button anglo.

An early MIDI prototype? :unsure:

Scary thought: Future generations may be so used to technological enhancement that they'll view these movies without realizing that it's not supposed to sound that way. :o

has there ever been a real (i.e., musical instrument) concertina with a spiral bellows?
I made a tuning bellows out of a section of flexible vinyl duct with a spiral support wire (i.e. dryer hose). I don't use it anymore because I came upon an old accordion bellows.

Here's an old Al Hirschfeld drawing of the Marx Brothers with Chico playing the concertina. When I first saw this image (in Hirschfeld's obituary in 2003), I posted a question about it here (in the old forum). Nobody could recall an instance of Chico actually playing (or even pretending to play) a concertina.

post-65-1149626568_thumb.jpg

Edited for spelling.

Edited by David Barnert

Chris,have you been having lessons from Jim ?

Al

Well, it's punny you should ask that Al, but no, it's all my own work. :rolleyes:

Chris

Just thought I would ask Chris

It was the yeast I could do.

Al

Chris,have you been having lessons from Jim ?
Well, it's punny you should ask that Al, but no, it's all my own work. :rolleyes:
Just thought I would ask Chris

It was the yeast I could do.

Rising to the occasion, as usual, Alan. ;)

I thought it would tempt you Jim with one of your gems on this Roller Toaster.

Alan, the depth and breadth of your subtlety are simply amazing.

And you're no loafer yourself when it comes to puns. I barley know what to say.

(Now where's that rye smiley when I need it?)

Who's that groaning?

'S not a groaning board. 'S a smorgasbord. With a plaice set especially for you. :D

Thank you for your warm comments Jim

I am glad I did not make a bloomer.

Al

Really guys, isn't it about time we wrapped this topic up? It's gotten far too corny.

Chris

P.S. What make of concertina was Charlie pretending to play? Why, a Wheatstone, of course. :D