the air and rain is falling, will a concertina be okay in a marine

environment (I know sailors have used them for generations, so I'm

assuming yes)? My boat is VERY small: a 14 foot pocket cruiser. There

is a hatch to a storage area, the hole of which is only 7 inches in

diameter. I need a concertina that is less than 7 inches across

diagonally (not just from flat edge to flat edge). Are there

self-instruction books available for the concertina? I live in Sioux

City, Iowa most of the year. Are there any instructors around here? I

live in Seattle during the summer. Any instructors there? I played the trombone for seven years, and I've even played the tin whistle a little...so I wouldn't be starting completely from scratch.

The instruments I've found that I'm interested in (so far) are the Stagi A-18 miniature concertina, the 18b English mini concertina, the GR4800 Stagi 18 key miniature concertina, and the Tedrow miniature concertina in D. I'd like to order from a company that will provide reasonable customer support and that has tuning available. Does anyone think any of those models would suit my needs? Any advice on where to order them?

Thanks to everyone for their time helping me. I'm very excited about the possibility of playing the concertina.

Hi Tug,

Great idea.. concertina and boats, it's a natural. My advice is, if you are serious, then get the best instrument you can afford. The Tedrow would be the one out of your list. Also, ask about brass reeds. Many folks swear by them and love the sound over steel. Steel is louder but you want to avoid any rust issues with the salty air.

My name is Tug Buse, I have a very small sailboat, and I want to take up

the concertina as an instrument to have aboard my boat (and at home in the

winter). May I ask a few questions?

As long as the concertina is stowed during the times when salt spray is in

the air and rain is falling, will a concertina be okay in a marine

environment (I know sailors have used them for generations, so I'm

assuming yes)? My boat is VERY small: a 14 foot pocket cruiser. There

is a hatch to a storage area, the hole of which is only 7 inches in

diameter. I need a concertina that is less than 7 inches across

diagonally (not just from flat edge to flat edge). Are there

self-instruction books available for the concertina? I live in Sioux

City, Iowa most of the year. Are there any instructors around here? I

live in Seattle during the summer. Any instructors there? I played the trombone for seven years, and I've even played the tin whistle a little...so I wouldn't be starting completely from scratch.

The instruments I've found that I'm interested in (so far) are the Stagi A-18 miniature concertina, the 18b English mini concertina, the GR4800 Stagi 18 key miniature concertina, and the Tedrow miniature concertina in D. I'd like to order from a company that will provide reasonable customer support and that has tuning available. Does anyone think any of those models would suit my needs? Any advice on where to order them?

Thanks to everyone for their time helping me. I'm very excited about the possibility of playing the concertina.

Hello Tug. I started playing last January and I purchased a "Jackie" from the concertinaconnection.com

Wim Wakker. It's a great starter instrument and now I am stepping up to a better one. The Jackie was very reasonably priced and from what I've read is a better instrument than the Hohners and less money than a Stagi. Good luck on your adventure.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

great idea but I'm afraid I'm going to pop a couple of myths.

Firstly, tacky films and even tackier advertising excepted, there is very little evidence to connect the concertina to seafaring and secondly, seawater will have just as devastating effect on brass reeds as on steel.

Great idea, great instrument but you will need some serious waterproofing

Save the concertina for the port and go for a tin whistle onboard ?

Dave

Unfortunately, the Jackie is out. There is no way you can get a Jackie through a hole 7" in diameter!

If you stored the concertina dry, really dry, then I think you would have a good chance of getting a long maintenance interval. That would include a water tight seal on whatever you store it in, and desicant in with it, and moisture sensitive paper indicators packed in with it all.

I think if not a concertina or penny whistle, then maybe a fiddle or a ukulele. Although you are talking a 7" circular fit-though. Perhaps you should cut a 7" hole through a piece of plywood when you go looking!

Russell Hedges

Unfortunately, the Jackie is out. There is no way you can get a Jackie through a hole 7" in diameter!

Russell Hedges

There is !

But I will say no more as i hear the lynching party approaching :ph34r:

Dave

I presume Dave that is the same method you would use to put a piano accordion through the same seven inch hole :P

Pete

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. I will take your advice to heart. Mr. Tedrow talked about the possibility of making a concertina that would suit my needs. I will continue talking to him.

-Tug

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. I will take your advice to heart. Mr. Tedrow talked about the possibility of making a concertina that would suit my needs. I will continue talking to him.

-Tug

You will be in safe hands with Bob Tedrow.

You could start a tradition - Real Concertinas at sea :lol:

All the best in your quest and happy squeezin'

Dave

Hi Tug,

I've been playing a steel reeded Lachenal on my boat for two seasons now, without any signs of deteriation. However, the cabin is dry (relatively), and I take the box home with me when I leave the boat.

I also keep several whistles on board, but have you tried playing one in a wind?

As for the link between sailors and concertinas, everyone knows that pirates were playing them in the 17th century!! Check out "Pirates of the Carribean"

Incidentally, my lachenal is 7.25" accross the corners.

Good luck

Peter

Edited by Nutmeg

There is !
I presume Dave that is the same method you would use to put a piano accordion through the same seven inch hole :P

When I was at university, the sport was to do that with a full-sized upright piano, though the hole was somewhat larger (12" diameter, if I recall correctly). Winnning times were measured in minutes, in single digits! :o

When I was at university, the sport was to do that with a full-sized upright piano, though the hole was somewhat larger (12" diameter, if I recall correctly). Winnning times were measured in minutes, in single digits! :o

Hi Jim,

How long did it take to restore the piano afterwards?

Regards,

Peter.

How long did it take to restore the piano afterwards?

No restoration was attempted.

The parts were recycled as landfill. :ph34r:

Russell Hedges

There is !

But I will say no more as i hear the lynching party approaching :ph34r:

Dave

I think that, technically, what you put through that hole would no longer be a Jackie, even if it had been before being made suitable for such passage....

:)

Steven