Playable Buiscuit Tin Concertina

Paul Read

You're talking about this, I assume. Quite an object there...so the "bellows" are one tin can inside another? I couldn't quite tell from the pics...

This is the first of these that I've seen. A bit pricy though. Now, if it was a Jeffries biscuit tin..............

You're talking about this, I assume. Quite an object there...so the "bellows" are one tin can inside another? I couldn't quite tell from the pics...

This is the first of these that I've seen. A bit pricy though. Now, if it was a Jeffries biscuit tin..............

Thanks Daniel, I forgot to paste it in :o

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like most or all of the buttons are just printed on the tinplate.

Four accordion style reeds, enough to play a C scale on push-pull, if 4 of the buttons are real.

Or maybe it just plays a C chord on push, and G79 on pull, like a Cajun melodeon?

Man, would that drive parents nuts in an hour!

But quite a novelty for collectors, to put in a corner of your kitchen when you invite fellow squeezers back there for a snack. --Mike K.

I handled one of these a couple of years ago...

The buttons, bellows, etc are all printed onto the tin. All the reeds sound when you pull the can open and shut: or possibly only when closing it (it was a while ago).

One thing to watch on these: the tin is tin-plated steel, but the reeds are plain steel, and very prone to rusting. If you can find one with fully working reeds, it's quite a rarity.

Too expensive for me, though, but a great novelty.