Polishing Metal Ends?

Hello there, Ive just purchased a 32key c/g metal end Lachenal.Besides getting new bellows and pads and valves the metal ends a alittle dull.The nickle is still good has not warn down to the brass .Just a slight patina and years of smudge.I saw in dave elliott's book not to use a polish that will hurt the keys, felts and wood.The keys are bone....Any thoughts of what to use? Thank you Tom

Hi Tom,

You can actually remove the end and take of the wooden bushing plate (if there is one) and the strap bar. You can polish away to your heart's delight then. If you have a friend with a polishing wheel (such as jewellery makers use), that is a good way to do it - but be careful not to over polish or you could wear off the plating.

Edited by Paul Read

Hi Tom,

Be sure not to use any kind of polish, or cleaning agent, as this will wear away the plating.

I just leave the metal ends untouched, and looking very used. Howver, if you must retain a polished finish, I'd pass on the knowledge which I gained on a visit to Colin Dipper. Colin was wearing a soft cloth workshop overall, and was gently rubbing a metal end, by hand, on the overall as we spoke. The result was a highly polished finish, with wear minimised.

Regards,

Peter.

Many concertinas were fitted with nickel (German) silver end grills. Nickel silver is a mixture of copper, nickel and zinc (0% silver). When newly polished they are wonderful to look at. The problem is that the acids in many people's fingers reacts with the copper and discolours it. Once it has taken hold, it is very difficult, if not impossible to remove without rebuffing. If the grills are plated rather than solid nickel silver there is the real risk of buffing away some of the plating if it is already showing wear. If you really want the grills to shine, you can have them replated, but be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing. This is why my grills are now stainless, unless specifically requested otherwise. I noticed that Geoff Crabb's latest instrument has stainless grills. They only need an occasional wipe to keep them looking new. Not traditional, you say? Stainless is very difficult to cut and polish, and if the early makers had laser cutters they probably would have used something like stainless too. :)

• 2 weeks later...
.....I noticed that Geoff Crabb's latest instrument has stainless grills. They only need an occasional wipe to keep them looking new. Not traditional, you say? Stainless is very difficult to cut and polish, and if the early makers had laser cutters they probably would have used something like stainless too. :)

Just a note to add that Geoff did not use laser cutters on his end-plates on this instrument but cut them by hand :o

Pete