Hastings Jack-in-the-green April 28 - May 1

Hi Folks,

It looks odds on that I will be able to make it to the session this coming Friday night...en route from Yorkshire to Dorset :lol:

Looking forward to meeting a few good mates from my old 'stamping ground'

The word seems to be that the Friday evening tune-up is most likely to be in the Royal Standard

Hope to see you there

Dave

(I will be the 20 stone of animated ugliness wielding the Jeffries G/D :lol: )

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word seems to be that the Friday evening tune-up is most likely to be in the Royal Standard

What time is the "evening tune-up"? If my hosts aren't already mobilized toward some other pub I'll try to influence the group to go by there so I can see some concertinas!

What time is the "evening tune-up"? If my hosts aren't already mobilized toward some other pub I'll try to influence the group to go by there so I can see some concertinas!

Hi,

I don't know for sure but I would suggest that about 7:30 to 8pm would be likely to fit the bill.

Should you end up at the Stag, it is only a very short walk to the Standard to check things out

Look forward to seeing you there

Dave

Off topic: Does anybody know what's the best way to change American dollars into British pounds these days? Is it best to exchange money at the airport in the U.S. before leaving, or at the airport in Heathrow after arrival? Are the exchange desks better than an ATM machine? Do some ATM machines offer better exchange values? Is it better to take traveller's checks?

Off topic: Does anybody know what's the best way to change American dollars into British pounds these days? Is it best to exchange money at the airport in the U.S. before leaving, or at the airport in Heathrow after arrival? Are the exchange desks better than an ATM machine? Do some ATM machines offer better exchange values? Is it better to take traveller's checks?

Check with the experts, but we've always relied on ATMs. They exchange in bulk, get better rates. No problems finding teller machines in England.

One hint; don't expect to get out of Heathrow quickly. The lines at customs are very long and very slow.

Check with the experts, but we've always relied on ATMs. They exchange in bulk, get better rates. No problems finding teller machines in England.

One hint; don't expect to get out of Heathrow quickly. The lines at customs are very long and very slow.

Thanks Jim! I will use my debit card at ATMs. I wonder if the ATMs in the airport give a worse exchange rate than the ones in the suburbs?

I will use my debit card at ATMs. I wonder if the ATMs in the airport give a worse exchange rate than the ones in the suburbs?
Dunno, but I'll ask my wife, who is a just-retired bank regulator.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that when you get cash from an ATM you're not "buying" it from the ATM itself, nor even from the ATM's owner, but from your own bank. I.e., if you get pounds, your own bank pays the ATM owner in pounds, then it -- your bank -- charges you in dollars for the number of pounds you got, based on its own exchange rate. And because you're dealing with your own bank, you'll almost certainly get a better rate than from a commercial money changer.

So it shouldn't matter where you get the money. Except that some ATMs do add a service fee (charged to your bank and probably passed on to you), but always per transaction. In that regard, I think you'll be safest using an ATM run by a major bank, not one run by a company that only does ATMs. In any case, I've never heard of ATMs charging a commission, i.e., a fee that depends on the amount you withdraw.

I will use my debit card at ATMs. I wonder if the ATMs in the airport give a worse exchange rate than the ones in the suburbs?
Dunno, but I'll ask my wife, who is a just-retired bank regulator.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that when you get cash from an ATM you're not "buying" it from the ATM itself, nor even from the ATM's owner, but from your own bank. I.e., if you get pounds, your own bank pays the ATM owner in pounds, then it -- your bank -- charges you in dollars for the number of pounds you got, based on its own exchange rate. And because you're dealing with your own bank, you'll almost certainly get a better rate than from a commercial money changer.

So it shouldn't matter where you get the money. Except that some ATMs do add a service fee (charged to your bank and probably passed on to you), but always per transaction. In that regard, I think you'll be safest using an ATM run by a major bank, not one run by a company that only does ATMs. In any case, I've never heard of ATMs charging a commission, i.e., a fee that depends on the amount you withdraw.

Jim, that sounds like a well-reasoned answer, and at the risk of being redundant, also makes a lot of sense. I will use the ATM at the airport so as not to waste time later, great idea!

Still off-topic, does anybody know about the carry-on restrictions on British Airways these days? I just checked my baggage allowance, and I get either a purse or a computer, plus one carry-on, 22x16x8, but the weight liimit is 13 pounds (sic). A couple of years ago, I bought a nice carry-on suitcase that fits the size requirements, but when I weighed it today, it was 11 pounds. So I guess I can put one shirt in there, and a toothbrush. Does anybody know if British Airways, coming out of the U.S., actually makes a big deal about weighing in the carry-on bags, if they are small and fit the size requirement? Do they charge extra if it goes over the 13 pound limit?

Still off-topic, does anybody know about the carry-on restrictions on British Airways these days? I just checked my baggage allowance, and I get either a purse or a

Don't know about BA, but we flew Virgin to Heathrow about 5 weeks ago, and they were VERY strict about carryons. A lot of weighing and measuring going on.

Still off-topic, does anybody know about the carry-on restrictions on British Airways these days? I just checked my baggage allowance, and I get either a purse or a

Don't know about BA, but we flew Virgin to Heathrow about 5 weeks ago, and they were VERY strict about carryons. A lot of weighing and measuring going on.

Jim, I've been researching it out on the Web, and have discovered that the 13 pound limit is indeed being enforced rather stringently, just as you said. My magnificent 11-pound "carry-on bag" is now obsolete -- unless I want to go First Class (40 pounds allowed)!! So I will check the bag. Thanks to both Jims for helping out.

I'm only an observer, not a player, but there was a great session at the Stag last night (Friday) but no sign of any concertinas!

Richard

hi richard

the concertina session was at the standard pub with myself bhawes and d prebble on anglos

we had

a great time going over many tunes from our early playing days there was also songs and a good time was had by all

bryan ( cplayer)

hi richard

the concertina session was at the standard pub with myself bhawes and d prebble on anglos

we had

a great time going over many tunes from our early playing days there was also songs and a good time was had by all

bryan ( cplayer)

Are you playing tonight (Sunday) anywhere? It's always a bit hit-and-miss to find an informal session, especially last night when everyone seems to have been at the ceilidh...

And, of course, there's the Wellington session (2-4 today). I like to lurk on the edge of sessions but not (yet) being a player myself I'm conscious of not taking up seats that would otherwise go to active participants.

Richard

hi richard

we had

bryan ( cplayer)

Are you playing tonight (Sunday) anywhere? It's always a bit hit-and-miss to find an informal session, especially last night when everyone seems to have been at the ceilidh...

And, of course, there's the Wellington session (2-4 today). I like to lurk on the edge of sessions but not (yet) being a player myself I'm conscious of not taking up seats that would otherwise go to active participants.

Richard

sorry to say richard that I am off to woodchurch my morris side today for more beer and all that ready for

the early morning haul to see mayday in

It may well be worth looking in on the standard pub session last tuesday of the month

bryan

I'm only an observer, not a player, but there was a great session at the Stag last night (Friday) but no sign of any concertinas! -- Richard

Just got back from Hastings. The session at the Stag on Friday night was fantastic, but as you said, no concertinas! I was surprised that there were people who had attended the Friday night at the Stag for years and didn't know about the mummified cats in a glass case facing the door, or the automated dancing stag's head on the wall. I saw a total of 3 concertinas at Hastings, and didn't have internet access so missed the one concertina session at the Royal Standard. :(

Followup: BA is requiring the cheap seats to check bags over 13 pounds, but it wasn't a big deal, mine came out perfectly fine at the other end, both ways. I used my bank debit card at ATMs and got the best exchange rate, no extra handling fees.

There was one interesting, although brief, concertina sighting at a concert I attended in Henley last Thursday. "Show of Hands" if anybody knows of them; Phil and Steve play fiddles and guitars, but Steve used a wired concertina for dramatic effect toward the end of a maritime song; he only played four chords on it, though!

Edited by greenferry

There was one interesting, although brief, concertina sighting at a concert I attended in Henley last Thursday. "Show of Hands" if anybody knows of them; Phil and Steve play fiddles and guitars, but Steve used a wired concertina for dramatic effect toward the end of a maritime song; he only played four chords on it, though!

Back in the early 90's, Steve Knightly and Phil Beer were joined by Dave Townsend (English Concertina) and other musicians in a band called "Alianza". They produced a great album by the same name; probably no longer available as it is not currently listed by the distributor, but see the attached link:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:GK5CYO...uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

Show of Hands are one of the best kept secrets of the English folk world having already sold the Royal Albert Hall out twice - they are planning to do it again next April :D

Their music has been described as "Country & South Western" (As they are both from Devon).

Sorry I missed you in Hastings!