Popularity Of The Concertina And Traditional Music Rising?

Guest Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

In another thread a couple of days ago on one of the forums here I joked about the relation between Tesco's supermarket and concertinas after running into Stephen Chambers and other players in the Ennis branch. Little did I know then I would find this? on the Tesco UK website this morning. I must say I am baffled by it and not quite sure what to think about it.

You sit in an old friend's kitchen like you do often, you play a few of your regular tunes but maybe not as well as usual because there are microphones present. A few weeks later your own kithcen is cluttered by boxes full of CDs. In time you start sending off small batches, hoping they go somewhere. But finding them ending up on supermarket shelves?

In another thread a couple of days ago on one of the forums here I joked about the relation between Tesco's supermarket and concertinas after running into Stephen Chambers and other players in the Ennis branch. Little did I know then I would find this? on the Tesco UK website this morning. I must say I am baffled by it and not quite sure what to think about it.

You sit in an old friend's kitchen like you do often, you play a few of your regular tunes but maybe not as well as usual because there are microphones present. A few weeks later your own kithcen is cluttered by boxes full of CDs. In time you start sending off small batches, hoping they go somewhere. But finding them ending up on supermarket shelves?

Peter,

Last December I learned that Tesco had my even-more-obscure William Kimber book on their site, which really baffled me. I found it hilarious to think of a bored shopper casually picking up a book of anglo concertina music at the checkout line along with their milk and dish soap. Eventually Tesco came to their senses; it is no longer listed there. Somewhere lurking about the sterile corporate offices of Tesco is an urban guerilla, quietly striking soft blows for musical sanity....

Edited by Dan Worrall

Guest Peter Laban
Last December I learned that Tesco had my even-more-obscure William Kimber book on their site, which really baffled me. I found it hilarious to think of a bored shopper casually picking up a book of anglo concertina music at the checkout line along with their milk and dish soap. Eventually Tesco came to their senses; it is no longer listed there. Somewhere lurking about the sterile corporate offices of Tesco is an urban guerilla, quietly striking soft blows for musical sanity....

Amazing isn't it. Mind you in Tesco's in Ennis I run into shopping musicians all the time and Dympna O Sullivan, very high on my list of favourite cocnertinaplayers, works there so you can expect to end up talking about things concertina during the shopping. But the CD was listed on Tesco UK's site. It would be interesting to know if they actually sell any.

Peter- This is somewhat off the original post,but I would like to take the opportunity to say how much I enjoyed this recording. I enjoyed the relaxed pace and tightness of the playing, and the great tune selection. The more years I play and listen to dance tunes the more I enjoy hearing tunes being played without accompaniment from rhythmn instruments as it allows the "internal rhythmn " and "groove" and phrasing of each tune speak for themselves. I want to add that the combination of pipes and concertina is one of my favorites. --- Steven