Embellishments

Charlotte

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but then again I'm a beginner!!! :rolleyes: (if one doesn't ask one doesn't learn)

Now, I have with great interest studied the sound files I've been able to find on the net (and if I may add, The Recorded Tune links page is a great inspiration. If I understand things correctly this page has been set up by Henk Van Aalten, so THANKS A LOT Henk :) And THANKS A LOT to all of you who have submitted recordings! It's nice to hear tunes played by other C.Net members!!!)

Well, actually my question is about embellishments (When I say embellishments I mean 1) the in-out-rhythm of the instrument, 2) dublication of notes, 3) chords :blink: , as stated by Bertram Levy in his tutorial. Are there more?). The reason I'm asking is that by now i can (slowly and not with any fantastic rhythm) play one or two tunes (on my new lovely Marcus :) :) ) But I can hear there's something missing...

Actually, I've managed to transcribe "Lord Inchiquinn" to C major, which I'm quite proud of, considering the fact that a month ago I didn't have a clue as to notes, scales and things...)

When You experienced Guys/Guyettes sit down to play a new tune, can you immediately spot when to place embellishments or do you experiment? Are there strict rules as to where to place embellishments? Or do you place them them where YOU feel they should be?

And what do you do, if you are playing together, if everyone has his/her own way of playing? :lol:

Charlotte, you ask very good questions. In TIM it will depend on who you are with. Some folks are very strict, others less so. I personally like to play a tune once through pretty straight and the next time 'round add a few ornaments. My personal rule of thumb is to be able to recognize the tune (I'm very bad about following rules).

I hope others here will chime in with clearer advice.

Edited by Mark Evans

Well.....

Hmm.

I'm not particularly 'experienced' with embellishments at all, and after working out a few ... uh, whatever-they-ares (crans? rolls? biscuits? I dunno) I kind of decided I'm just not an embellisher at heart.

I did find it fun to pick and choose a few things here and there, like some bellows shakes, etc., and put them where I wanted. But, I gave up on trying to do what I thought would be 'authentic' or typical, since I never seem to get that right, anyway.

I haven't done much with traditional music (which tends to have those trills and whatever), and I'm sure you'll get more educated responses, from players of such!

I like traditional tunes, and I may yet practice a few more of them, but, it's kind of like a foreign language, to me. All I've really been familiar with was to do my own original songs or those of musical friends. I can remember my third grade teacher indirectly recommending traditional music to me, but...that's about it!

THANKS A LOT Henk :) And THANKS A LOT to all of you who have submitted recordings! It's nice to hear tunes played by other C.Net members!!!)

Thanks Charlotte for your kind words :)

When You experienced Guys/Guyettes sit down to play a new tune, can you immediately spot when to place embellishments or do you experiment? Are there strict rules as to where to place embellishments? Or do you place them them where YOU feel they should be?

Just speaking for myself (of course), when I learn a new tune I never bother about embellishments. I first get the tune in my fingers and after that I try to improve speed (when needed). After that embelishments are coming in. In my case they are dictated by the possibilities of the instrument and they just pop up while playing without thinking (for instance while I'm watching TV :) ).

And what do you do, if you are playing together, if everyone has his/her own way of playing? :lol:
By the time you play with others (in a small group) be sure that you have written down the music as you play it (and see what happens :ph34r: ). During sessions it's another thing! Just play the tune as basic as possible and listen to the others how they play it. Throw in your embellishments when possible.

Good questions, Charlotte.

Like other posters here I get the tune going first, and am only now beginning to add twiddles, taradiddles and harmonies to what I play. Unlike Henk, they don't come to me while I watch TV and one of my current projects is working on an Irish tune and adding to it every type of decoration I can imagine - I'll then "strip it back" and play different decorations on each go through.

As to which decorations where, I agree that that depends on who you're playing with - some schools of thought within a tradition (ITM stands for Irish Traditional Music, by the way) have strong feelings about what is right. As I do not claim to be a "traditional" musician I do what I want with the tunes I choose, even though they may be "traditional" tunes.

Hope this helps.

Samantha

In my case they are dictated by the possibilities of the instrument and they just pop up while playing without thinking (for instance while I'm watching TV :) ).

During sessions it's another thing! Just play the tune as basic as possible and listen to the others how they play it. Throw in your embellishments when possible.

Henk! you share the TV technique with none other than Izak Perlman. He likes to watch soap opera daytime TV with the sound turned down.

I really like the advice about session. Wise, and puts the other personalities around the circle at ease.

Edited by Mark Evans

...(for instance while I'm watching TV :) ). ...
Henk! you share the TV technique with none other than Izak Perlman. He like to watch soap opera daytime TV with the sound turned down...
Naaw, Mark - the club is larger than that - it's Izak Pearlman, Henk and I :D

/Henrik

...(for instance while I'm watching TV :) ). ...
Henk! you share the TV technique with none other than Izak Perlman. He like to watch soap opera daytime TV with the sound turned down...
Naaw, Mark - the club is larger than that - it's Izak Pearlman, Henk and I :D

/Henrik

Hmmm... I'd better turn on the TV :rolleyes:

Unlike Henk, they don't come to me while I watch TV

Samantha

In your situation I should stare at Ailsa Craig :D

I agree with Henk - stare at Ailsa Craig. I'm the wrong side of the Irish sea. I'll make do with the mountains of Mourne.

Samantha

I agree with Henk - stare at Ailsa Craig. I'm the wrong side of the Irish sea. I'll make do with the mountains of Mourne.

Well Nigel.. we could stare together in October during the Arran Concertina Event :) ;)

Samantha

Well Nigel.. we could stare together in October during the Arran Concertina Event :) ;)

I love the idea, but it's unlikely I'm afraid, due to family, financial and work commitments(in order of importance!)