Run About, Scream And Shout

Finally, finally the small town nearest mine announced auditions for the annual 4-night country jamboree. This is THE fundraiser for the local Lion's Club. I suspect the announcement was late because there was a little oopsie at the nearby military bombing range last month and the town almost burned down. The auditions are on the 29th.

So, after consulting with Bob Tedrow, I am going to play Arkansas Traveler.

Bluegrass concertina!

Oh, and please wish me luck. It's not like I'm nervous already or anything. :huh:

Bluegrass concertina!

Good choice! That works especially well with Jody Kruskal-ish harmonic playing with chords and bass runs.

A couple of other oldtime tunes that work really well on concertina: "Fly Away my Pretty Little Miss," in D --which is remarkably easy on Anglo. And Golden Slippers: easy and lots of fun. And FOrked Deer in d and PUncheon FLoor in G.

Love playing that stuff.

I suspect the announcement was late because there was a little oopsie at the nearby military bombing range last month and the town almost burned down.

Hmm, if you mean Clovis, how would tell the difference? I drove through there 3 weeks ago for the first time in about 20 years, but saw no smoldering adobe.

You might be interested to know that Buddy Holly and also locals Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs recorded their hits in Norman Petty’s recording studio on 7th St. in Clovis. You could always quote “Sugar Shack” or “Bottle of Wine”, if you’re old enough to remember those. Insinuating one of them into Arkansas Traveler could be a fun musical task. The Fireballs were just getting to be big-time when some British lads started to have some success on the charts.

-- Clovis H.S. grad – 1967

Oh yeah, best of luck!

Stephen, you should have called on your way through!!!

Actually, it was the Melrose Bombing Range. Since we haven't had measurable precipitation since early October, the whole upper corner of the county just went up in flames.

Bluegrass concertina!

Bluegrass concertina will knock their socks off. The cool thing about an audition is that at least you know someone is really listening.

I’ve tried playing bluegrass a few times and found that I’m happier with the old time rep. Certainly the two have a wide overlap. Yeah, Golden Slippers works very well. How about Year of Jubilo, Spotted Pony, Lisa Jane, Grasshopper Sitting on a Sweet Potato Vine, Needlecase?

Good luck at your audition Rhomylly.

Jody

I'm all a-flutter and touched at everyone's advice and support.

Last night I confirmed that I would, in fact, be allowed to audition with something other than the five basic string instruments. The organizer seemed quite enthusiastic, once I explained what a concertina is.

Meanwhile, I'm practicing as close to every day that I can manage.

Meanwhile, I'm practicing as close to every day that I can manage.

Watch those tendons! Stretch a lot.

Not that you asked, but here are a bunch of oldtime tunes that are great fun on Anglo:

Golden Slippers

Forked Deer

Magpie

Maggots on a Sheep's Hide

Kiowa Special (not genuinely OT, but sounds like it)

Over the Waterfall

Puncheon Floor

Nail that Catfish to the Tree

CLuck Old Hen

Cold Frosty morning

Colored Aristocracy

Dominion Reel

Any of hte Liza Jane's

Ragtime Annie

Yellow Rose of Texas

Rockthe Cradle Joe

Off she Goes

Soldier's Joy

And the pseudo-oldtime tune Nixon's Farewell

Not that you need any more suggestions but...here are a couple I think would sound very good on anglo:

In D:

Bonaparte's Retreat

Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine

The Cuckoo's Nest (minor mode)

In A:

June Apple (minor mode)

In G:

Red Wing (particularly if you were to just come out one time on the chorus and sang the words)

;)

"Now, the moon shines brightly down on Red Wing"...etc

P.S. Bonaparte being a theme here, there is also a Scotts March in D:

Bonaparte at Waterloo

The old timers I've played it for really like it.

have a blast, 'cause a lot of folks here are pullin' for ya!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the audition went very well yesterday :(

It was really slow, every person got to do their two prepared pieces, all the way through. I sat there and froze to death in a high school gym for two hours, and I was the 8th person on the list. Needless to say, the banana I ate (to help my nerves) right before I left home expired before my turn came.

I made the classic CLASSIC beginner's mistake -- I started Arkansas Traveler at a decent tempo, the promptly sped it up into the train wreck it became. I was supposed to do 2x through, AABB, and forgot the second B the last time through, so it was AABBAAB. ARGH!!!! At least I didn't mess up the notes I DID play.

I am very glad that I had the foresight at 20 to not choose a theater career where my livelihood depended on passing auditions. No, that was not a factor I thought of at the time I decided to major in tech theater, but it is definitely a side benefit!

I also learned that it's easier to audition in front of strangers rather than friends.

Oh, well.

We're supposed to hear by the 10th if we're in or not. Apparently we can participate in the Sunday gospel show if we want (and I will cop to NAILING my acapella rendition of "Down to the River to Pray." DAMN I sounded good!), but getting into the Thursday, Friday or Saturday night show is the hard part.

I'm already making plans for next year.

Edited to add: Mega-kudos to Animaterra for her counsel and advice with post-laryngitis voice issues and general support! At least the singing part went well!

Edited by Rhomylly

What's a missed B part between friends :) . So a little faster as things went along... it's OTM not TIM, they expect a bass or guitar to keep folks glued together. Wait and see.

Bravo on on Down to the river to pray! That is one of my all time favorites and I always cry when female voices sing it. Would that I could hear your version.

Edited by Mark Evans

Well, honey, you're welcome! Glad I could help!

Now, you're either a realist who has a clear picture of exactly how it went, or like many of us you're in the "Oh, God, I stunk!!" phase which won't pass until you hear one way or another. You will of course keep us posted either way!!

And I'm proud of you, m'dear! (Sure wish I could sing "Down to the river" with you- it's one of my favorites, too!)

I don't think the audition went very well yesterday :(

Rhomylly,

That is their loss. Not to worry; there is no audition to the concertina band at the SW Squeeze-in...so no nerves on that one. I'm also afflicted by stage jitters, but the c. band just envelops you in soothing concertina tones. Once Gary starts playing that bass Wheatstone, none of the rest of us will be heard, anyway! :)

See you there.

Edited by Dan Worrall