Guitarist/mandoliner Seeks Advice

I play half slow guitar and the opposite on mandolin :D

Now seeking to further annoy my dog, I plan on try the concertina.

In considering concertina keys (presuming the entry level instrument I get plays somewhat in tune), is there a better all around key/key?

I will most likely try and teach myself the guitar and mando tunes I know, and I find a great deal of the tunes are in G,D,C and the every popular E and A.

I understand that you can play keys other then the 'named' keys (ie G/C) but like the guitar and mando, I imagine some keys are easier to finger.

tanks!

Bob

If you are buying second hand, you'll find that C/G is by far the easiest tuning to find. A lot depends on the style of music you're playing. If it's Irish, it is almost always C/G. This gets you C/G and D relatively easily (he said!). For English, the G/D works really well and gets you G/D and A.

Duet and English concertinas are fully chromatic, though some of the keys are easier than others! (at least for me). only Anglos come in designated keys (C/G, G/D etc.). You need to check which type you get on with before you take the plunge! My brain simply wont communicate with my fingers if I try the Anglo (Pull/Push) variety.

Chris

Some people play Irish tunes fantastically well on an English concertina (try Henk's Recorded Tunes Page for examples). Where are you based? The best advice to someone thinking of buying a concertina is to find a shop/event where you can try out the different systems and see which suits you best ...

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

Samantha

I am based in northeastern US (NJ). The shops are all still guitar-centric.

There are two fine fiddle shops (they carry violins too!), but I'm still searching for someone local that knows an anglo concertina from an angled saxophone. (the difference being the angled saxophones conquered Count Basie I think).

I am based in northeastern US (NJ).

North or South Jersey?

Plenty of good concertina players in Northern New Jersey, New York City, etc. Also some in Philly, I think. Probably many I don't know about. I've been a long time away.

Both anglo and English, and even the odd duet.

Do any names come to mind? I'd love to pick their brains a little.

Well, some are members here at Concertina.net, so I was hoping they might volunteer. For others I don't have current contact information, since I've been living in Denmark for more than 10 years, now. But for contacts in not-necessarily-Irish music you might look up FMSNNJ (Folk Music Society of Northern New Jersey), NYPFMC (New York Pinewoods Folk Music Club), or PFSS (Philadephia Folk Song Society). For Irish contacts, look for organizations like Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eirann (probably misspelled, but the first word is right and enough to find it in a directory or Google), New York's Irish Arts Center, or the Philadelphia Ceili Group.

Good luck.

As if I needed to drive home that I am a newbie; I left out 'anglo' in my description.

Based on some reading, investigating what primers are available, and my inclination towards Irish music,

I figured it (the anglo) was what I should get.

Thanks for the advice folks!

While theoretically you can play Irish Music on an English or a Duet, or on an Anglo in different keys, the fact remains that the overwhelming choice for Irish Music played in standard keys is the c/g concertina. In theory a g/d should in fact be a better choice since of course each row is one of the two most common major keys in Irish Music; however in practice C/Gs were the most common and in the 19th and early 20th century when concertinas entered the tradition, musicians had to adapt the instruments they had to the music. Thus I would recommend a c/g simply because on this instrument it will be easiest to fit into the existing tradition. Most importantly in this regard is that pretty much all concertina Trad concertina tutors (whether books, videos or CDrom) and teachers assume this is the style of concertina you are playing.

Now all that being said, in general, since most people in sessions (except the concertina and box players) wouldn't be able to tell an Anglo from and English and especially not an Anglo from a Duet, you do have freedom to experiment. As the Button Accordion's evolution in the 20th century has shown, there can be room for different tunings or even strongly related but distinct instruments. You just have to be prepared to be a pioneer; learning the tunes and figuring ways to ornament them in a way that will fit into the broader tradition.

--

Bill

Hello Bob

I'm a newbe on the concertina and advanced on the Mandolin. I picked up a Morse Albion (English) this spring and have been slowly squeezing some Irish tunes out of it. I live near Allentown PA but often travel to/thru North NJ so if you would like to make a connection and try the Morse out send me an email.

Cheers

Al