Maccann Duet On Ebay

Cream-T

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=7374054727[/url]

Listed as "Wheatstone English Concertina", this looks like a 48-key Maccann to me (I let the seller know).

I counted 46 buttons. Confirmed by the wheatstone ledger.

Definitely a Maccann. An Æola, too.

I'm not sure I've seen an Æola Maccann before with so few buttons. If you want one with the smaller size but limited range (they have their uses), this does look like a nice one.

I might have a bash at this one if the price does`nt go beserk, because it`s bound to need work. My old Lachenal Mcann is getting very wheezy.

John

I've been looking at this too, what worries me is that he says 'Paypal only' so you have to post a huge wad of cash into the ether on trust. (paypal assurances don't seem to be worth much) His feedback's OK but not extensive. He's almost certainly genuine, BUT...

I might have a bash at this one if the price does`nt go beserk, because it`s bound to need work. My old Lachenal Mcann is getting very wheezy.

John

I was thinking of having a go as well but I will stay out of it rather than drive the price up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=7374054727[/url]I'm not sure I've seen an Æola Maccann before with so few buttons. If you want one with the smaller size but limited range (they have their uses), this does look like a nice one.

As I've noted in another thread, adapting the "Irish" anglo style to such an instrument could work very nicely.

By the way, what do we think a fair price would be?
How long IS a piece of string?
So, you have no idea then?

I have no idea -- or rather a broad range, like somewhere between $300 and $1300, -- because its range is unusually small yet its quality (I don't know about its condition) is unusually good.

I think that if Henrik played the Maccann rather than the English, this might be the ideal instrument for him. :D

You call £1,283 a "reasonable price"? But I suppose the only way to find out what a 46-key Maccann Aeola is worth is to auction it.

Given that there was no idea of condition ('seems alright' from a non-playing seller) it seems incredibly high to me, after all it is only a 46 no matter how swanky; but the bit that really gets me is that the seller now has to post a four figure sum off to a man who positively refuses to let you see the instrument first. I'm fascinated; it's a shame we probably won't hear any more, regardless what happens

With two other bidders following the winner into "four figures" we may be seeing a flood of Aeola Maccaans on ebay shortly.

While the Maccaan is not my favorite system, a case might be made for calling a prime vintage instrument, by a reknown maker, at this price, a bargain.

The days of "donor duets" giving their reeds so that anglos might rise again may be numbered. Or not.

Thoughts?

Greg

PS. I just noticed the 60b Edeophone Maccann listed by the Button Box had disappeared. Hmm! Gold going down; duets going up. Perhaps a rereading of Revelations is in order.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Well,

a decent restored tenor treble aeola English from the same period would cost you around GBP2500 from a dealer. This one would be less because it probably needs work, it's a duet and it has a (relatively) small number of buttons. However, it is a rather rare instrument, made by Wheatstone and looking in fair condition. Yes, I would say it is a reasonable price and I watch these prices quite closely.

Edited to add: The seller wants payment by Paypal so the seller will be protected. If he insisted on Western Union I'd avoid him like the plague.

Edited by Paul Read