Help From Experts Needed

BigYin

I have been informed that before one can place an advert to buy and sell anything here,,one has to post 4 or 5 times and as I dont wish to be accused of Trolling I have placed my 8 posts here so i can understand the concertina before I give my cash away to someone for a load of "Tat" when i go to buy one..

BUT HERE GOES

1 DOES CONCERTINISTS PREFER OLD ENGLISH OR GERMAN INSTRUMENTS

2 WHY DOES EXPERTS IN CONCERTINA PLAYING MOSTLY PLAY MORRIS MUSIC

3 DO THEY HAVE CONCERTINA MARCHING BANDS

4 IS THERE DIFFERENT KINDS OF MUSIC PLAYED ON 20,30,32,39,40 KEYED

5 CAN YOU TELL ME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CONCERTINA AND THE BANDEONON

(FORGIVE SPELLING POOR EDUCATION)

6 WHERE IS THE NEAREST CONCERTINA MUSEUM

7.CAN CONCERTINA'S BE MADE ESPECIALLY FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL PLAYER OR IS IT BETTER TO FIND A QUALITY JEFFRIES

8,IS THERE ANY SPECIAL ONE I SHOULD CONSIDER TO LEARN ON.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IF YOU REPLY IF NOT WELL,,,,,"CEST LA VIVE"

OK, I'll take a crack at it. "Here goes"

No answer to this question will be true for all concertinists. However, old English Concertinas are usually more expensive than German ones because they are usually better constructed, play better, last longer, etc. There are, of course, many exceptions.
It's probably the other way around: Musicians for Morris Dance groups are drawn to the Concertina because it is conveniently small (needs to be played standing up, sometimes while walking), has an agreeable sound for the dancing, and has a tradition going back over a hundred years to William Kimber, who played Anglo Concertina for the Headington Quarry Morris Men in the 19th Century.
There are many photographs of Concertina Marching Bands in the past, but I don't know of any that continue to exist.
I am not an Anglo player, but I'll offer this: None of the instruments is limited in what kind of music can be played on them. More buttons give you more choices and more chromatics but are heavier and more expensive.
5 CAN YOU TELL ME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CONCERTINA AND THE BANDEONON (FORGIVE SPELLING POOR EDUCATION)
Correct spelling: Bandoneon. It is a cousin of the German concertina that has become very popular in Argentina. It is bigger than most Concertinas and square, rather than polygonal.
That depends where you are.
7.CAN CONCERTINA'S BE MADE ESPECIALLY FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL PLAYER OR IS IT BETTER TO FIND A QUALITY JEFFRIES
Both (as well as many other options) are possible. "Better" depends upon your own needs and resources.
Most would suggest learning on the best instrument you can afford.

I have been informed that before one can place an advert to buy and sell anything here,,one has to post 4 or 5 times and as I dont wish to be accused of Trolling I have placed my 8 posts here so i can understand the concertina before I give my cash away to someone for a load of "Tat" when i go to buy one..

Minor point, but these are questions, not posts... this is a single post

BUT HERE GOES

Actually many of us prefer the new instruments; there are a number of excellent instruments being produced by the likes of Frank Edgley, Bob Tedrow, the Button Box, Marcus Music, Suttner, Dipper and Wheatstone (and a number of others). These instruments all have good tone and response without the hassels that come with getting a 50-130 year old instrument.

They don't. There is a wide range of music that is played on the concertina. Probably the most popular right now (though mostly limited to the Anglo) is Irish Music.

Ick... why would you want such a beast. Seated in a pub with a pint is so much nicer.

Not really. 20 key anglos are somewhat limiting, but after that, 30+ buttons will allow you to play melody chromatically with at least limited accompanyment in common keys. 39-40 button just allow more accompaniment.

5 CAN YOU TELL ME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CONCERTINA AND THE BANDEONON

(FORGIVE SPELLING POOR EDUCATION)

A Bandeonon is a type of concertina actually; not discussed much here, but I believe it is used in some types of latin american music (particularly to play Tangos).

Didn't know there was one.

Well they can be, but I recommend that in general it is better to get an instrument that is more or less standard; if you decide that the concertina is not for you it will be easier to sell that way. It doesn't need to be a Jefferies. If we are talking Anglo either Jefferies, Wheatstone or one of the slightly modified versions that makers offer for those systems should be fine.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IF YOU REPLY IF NOT WELL,,,,,"CEST LA VIVE"

The best instrument you can afford.

Hi,

Most if not all of your questions, plus a lot more you haven't thought of yet, can be answered by the Concertina FAQ. That is what it is there for.

Chris

Edited to add PS Where the nearest concertina museum is depends on where you are, but there is a good one at the Horniman museum in London. Details in the FAQ.

Edited by Chris Timson