Blue Bell, Gringley-on-the-hill, Non-session

A number of concertina players used to meet at this now defunct session - please note -

The new landlord at the Blue Bell tells us that we are no longer welcome.

So we have moved back to the Waterfront, West Stockwith, where we are.

Dates will remain as usual; 3rd Wednesday with a French music session on 1st Wednesday.

SESSIONS AT THE WATERFRONT, WEST STOCKWITH

October 19, November 16, December 21, January 18

French sessions: November 2, December 7, January 4

No, although the room has a bit of a dance-floor (from disco days?) it is more of an eaterie. I suspect they think that is the way they want to go - but mid-week? Can they afford to turn down 2 nights of non-troublemaking, visitor attracting, drinking musicians a month without even meeting them?

No, a free house - generally Adnams and Courage. Music licensing might have something to do with it though.

Shouldn't you consider the possibility that the new owner just dislikes our kind of music?

I know that if I ever become a pub owner, I will make sure there is neither big-screen football nor karaoke, no matter how much additional income they might attract. Live music much of the time, if possible, but otherwise... does anyone remember what silence is like? If the Blue Bell's new owner has tastes different from mine, that's his right, however much I might wish he felt otherwise.

Of course, my suggestion is also only one possibility, and his reason could be music licensing, or even something we haven't yet mentioned.

I can't believe that this has happened so quickly. What a shame since the Blue Bell is such a pleasant venue and well used by folk musicians and dancers alike. Never thought to see a moron take over this pub :angry:

It is a shame that the folk musicians are no longer able to meet at the blue bell but from what I hear the reason behind the decision was that it was felt that when a room is given over to a group free of charge, that common courtesy would dictate the least any one could do is put chairs and tables back and perhaps bring empty glasses back to the bar. i suppose after a long day working in a pub you would not mind clearing a function room up if the people had payed for its use. Maybe this is your answer ????? I would sugggest if the new venue is kind enough to give a room free of charge then you think carefully of how it is left. Just a thought................... ;)

Welcome Bobert, I see you have just joined us. What sort of box do you play?

Was that snippet of information from the previous tenant or the new tenant who decided the session was to cease?.

As I wasn't normally there at the end, I don't know where the tables and chairs were left, but as the room is that full, the chairs were not moved far and the tables too heavy to move.

No I dont play I am afraid, Iam sure that there was no malice in the decision to stop the folk meetings at the Bell , and no it was not because there was a dislike of the music, in fact the times I have been in there on folk nights you cant here the music in the tap room. I here there may have been an issue with something on the carpet, also I am sure it was an oversight but a contact number for your group may have helped. I will leave you now to discuss your interests instead of all this hearsay and rumour......

ps Pete dickey. have you ever met THE MORON at the blue bell??????????????????

No I dont play  - THE MORON at the blue bell??????????????????

Looks like a raw nerve has been touched there and this character is trying to defend the indefensible.

Although not there for the last sessions, it is my understanding that the new landlord has decided to set the tables for meals to feed the hundreds of diners that are now going to instantly start coming to the pub. Previously of course the tables and chairs were loosely arranged in some sort of order which never really got disturbed that much and not that it really mattered anyway.

The damage to the carpet apparently is some chewing gum which may have been left by some careless character but could also have been brought in on someone's shoe. Possibly picked up on the way in from the bar?. A matter to speculate on.

One thing for certain is there will be a considerable loss of revenue over the course of the year as there are a number of gatherings there besides the twice monthly sessions, including Morris dancing and the meetings are always accompanied by very busy times at the bar. I do hope the future meal takings are considerable.

The "free" use of the room was a Huge favour, the income from the increased bar takings counting for nothing. I assume that bringing empty glasses back to the bar is a thing that all other users of the pub are trained to do together with putting all the tables and chairs back in place when they leave - not that heavy tables like this can be moved very far :lol:

As to the contact number for the "group". Two minutes of asking would have produced a name and number as the organiser lives fairly near to the pub and we are talking about village locations here, not a large town. Alternatively only a minute on the web would also have produced the same result - try Googling "gringley folk music" not really that difficult is it?

Finally - if the sessions were such a bad thing then why was the landlord of the new venue exceptionally keen for us to go there?

p.s Bobert888 - get real :wacko:

I intend to say no more on the matter

I was there at the previous two sessions where a new list of future dates for both sessions were circulated, along with contact number. The lists were also pinned up next to the bar.

Shame I will not get to meet the aforementioned person of challenging social skills.

Nuff said.

for a nice freindly group of folk musicians you both seem to have a lot of pent up aggression, true ambassadors for folk music I applaud you. I was only trying to relay what I understood to be the problem. I think you may have the wrong end of the stick as I guess you think I may be part of the team at the blue bell, I am but purely a regular in both of the pubs mentioned above. I have met the landlord at the blue bell on a number of occasions and was dismayed that some one who had perhaps only met him the once had declared him a moron. that is all.............

for a nice freindly group of folk musicians you both seem to have a lot of pent up aggression, true ambassadors for folk music I applaud you.

I do not believe that I have ever met any of those involved in this session, nor had I even heard of the Blue Bell, Gringley-on-the-hill previously, so I don't feel that I have any axe to grind here, but I'm afraid that it appears to me that the only "pent up aggression" discernible seems to be in the accuser's own posts, which he/she seems to have joined this forum specifically to make.

Anyway, if you Google the "Blue Bell, Gringley-on-the-hill", this thread now comes up as the No. 1 "hit", and the more the topic is discussed here, the longer it will remain so, though they say there's no such thing as bad publicity ...

Edited by Stephen Chambers