Troubleshooting leaky action box

I thought I'd share this simple solution to assemble a concertina to check for air leaks, but with the top of the action box removed, so you can see what’s going on.

IMG_0676.jpeg

• Like 1

This is where most people start, innovative, but does not actually help much, I find that a bright light shone from under the pad board will give you much more to consider. look around each pad, check the springs for any that are soft and look at the split in the pad board. The split can give three separate issues:

1. an air path between one or more pads
  2. an air path under where the pads seal 
  3. a discontinuity in 'level' providing leakage between chambers.

Posted (edited)

Actually, I think it is very helpful..obviously only occasionally, when air leaks are a particular problem. You also need a stethoscope.

Edited by RogerT

I find carefully lifting the end off the action box, making sure the end is perfectly positioned and lifting vertically so as to not disturb any of the buttons or the pads, will show you where the pads are positioned on the pad board.  Only works with a concertina that has inscribed circles around the pads as an alignment guide.  When I made concertinas without such a circle I would put a dot in the centre of the pad so the alignment could be gauged from underneath.  These alignment methods only work in conjunction with oads in good condition and no extraneous matter caught underneath. 

I wasn't really asking for a diagnosis of the issues…yes there is a crack…i was just showing how it's possible to put the action box on so you see it working and diagnose all the issues, not necessarily a technique to everyone’s liking but all the same v useful on occasion. Yes I know about using a bright light etc and I don't always do it this way….I repair concertinas professionally so I've got a good grasp of how to go about it. It's really no extra effort to do this.