Obituary for Jo-El Sonnier, Cajun accordion and concertina player

Yesterday's NY Times (January 30, 2024, p. A22) printed a longish obit for  "the Accordion Virtuoso who Revived Cajun Music." I noticed the brief mention "A versatile instrumentalist, Mr. Sonnier played concertina on Hank Williams Jr.'s 1982 version of theBeatles' 'Norwegian Wood...."

Anyone know any more of him and his work?

I have several of his albums and used to play them on a radio show ("Acoustic Blend" on Purdue University radio; my spell was 1995-2004). He had a couple of hits years ago that still get played. Great singer too.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea if it is true in this case, but some musicians and others I've met in Louisiana use the term "concertina" to refer to (typically 1-row) melodeon/button accordion. Not common or widespread but I have encountered it. A usage that I've also encountered in the Canadian maritimes. Again, I don't know about this particular case; there may be more details out there about the Hank Williams Jr. recording.

Ken

On the CD's and LPs and old recordings of Cajun music that I've seen, which possibly is a representaitve sample, the French-speaking musicians usually refer to their instrument as either "accordéon" or "accordéon diatonique" to distinguish it from other "accordion"-type squeezeboxes; The term 'concertina' doesn't usually appear in those writings. There is of course always the problem that people who write liner notes and create publicity for musicians don't know the difference between the types and mis-naming can easily spread thro' the publicity channels outside the control of the musicians involved. So, I take the info in that obit with a grain of salt.

And I don't want to go off topic, but there is the famous reference to Leadbelly (in a nearby part of Texas) playing the "concertina" but the only photo(s) appear to show something that looks like a one-row accordion.

Ken

On 1/31/2024 at 5:32 PM, CrP said:

"A versatile instrumentalist, Mr. Sonnier played concertina on Hank Williams Jr.'s 1982 version of the Beatles' 'Norwegian Wood...."

Anyone know any more of him and his work?

This is what Jo-El Sonnier had to say on the subject (when interviewed for Best of SWLA in December 2017) about the stars he'd played with:

Johnny Cash brought me in to play on his record; and Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson, then Dolly Parton (“Why’d You Come in Here Lookin’ Like That?”), Hank Williams, Jr. And he was very gracious. He invited me to play on his recording of “Norwegian Wood,” the Beatles song, and it was the first time he’d ever heard a Cajun accordion … They originally wanted me to play a concertina and I didn’t even know what that was. (Laughs.) But they let me bring my Cajun accordion and he really liked it …

Whilst I guess the sound of his accordion may have made a strong impression on Hank Williams Jr.'s son, (Shelton) Hank Williams III, because over the past decade I've had several messages from him, asking if I'd sell my (almost-new condition) antique Globe "Gold Medal" melodeon that was made by the same firm as the original Cajun "Sterling" and "Monarch" boxes.

Edited by Stephen Chambers
  • Thanks 1