"Drive the Cold Winter Away", harmonic style tab for Anglo

Steve Moore

Heard this on public radio, often as a song, a number of times through this holiday season.  The sentiment was much brought to mind as this household ground through twin cases of Covid across the holidays.  Basically A minor, it then moves through some major chord voices.  I think I discovered a left-hand button or two I've never played before.

Drive the Cold Winter Away.pdf

> Heard this on public radio, often as a song, a number of times through this holiday season...

And here are the words...

ddcwa..thumb.jpg.ca823e8fc5fafc3749fcf065f79a0b55.jpg

No tabs as I don't use GC-style tabs and don't want to confuse the issue...

ddcwa.abc

Edited by Roger Hare
  • Like 1

An

On 12/31/2023 at 9:04 PM, Steve Moore said:

Heard this on public radio, often as a song, a number of times through this holiday season...

An afterthought. May I ask what software you are using to generate that tablature? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Word, saved as a PDF; it's a bit of work.  Work out the harmonies and chords on piano and concertina.  The staff was generated from ABC; a BMP copy was cut up into 4 pieces and pasted on a page with lots of room between rows.  Then type in the button numbers above and below the rows according to the TAB system presented by Gary Coover in his book on harmonic style Anglo.

3 hours ago, Steve Moore said:

Word, saved as a PDF; it's a bit of work etc..

Thank you! Too much work for me! I think this was discussed here a while back when the consensus

emerged that ABC didn't have the capability to do all those horizontal lines. I thought you might have

uncovered a piece of software which did the job in one hit.

I can add simple (melody only) tabs but I didn't bother in my post (up there somewhere ^^^) as I don't

use GC's system, and the main point was to add the words for folks to look at...

Later edit: Yeah, I'd almost forgotten, I used this sort of approach myself a while back. I abandoned it fairly quickly - simply

too much work. I ended up with something like the attachment (which uses Mick Bramich's tablature). This clearly comes

from  my 'transition' period - the score at the top has been run through an early program to automatically generate the chords.

The pure Mick Bramich tablature at the bottom has been 'hand-crafted'. I think that example dates from 2018.

bf.pdf

Edited by Roger Hare

On 1/2/2024 at 4:01 AM, Roger Hare said:

May I ask what software you are using to generate that tablature?

7 hours ago, Steve Moore said:

Word, saved as a PDF; it's a bit of work.

5 hours ago, Roger Hare said:

Too much work for me!

I’m not into tabs, being a Hayden player who has been reading music notation all my life, but doesn’t Michael Eskin’s abc tools create tabs from abc at the touch of a button?

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

I’m not into tabs, being a Hayden player [1] who has been reading music notation all my life, but

[2] doesn’t Michael Eskin’s abc tools create tabs from abc at the touch of a button?

[1] Lucky man - I came late to the game, and being realistic about it, am never going to be a competent 'on-the-fly' sight reader...

[2] Yes, but I think I'm right in saying that ME's program doesn't supply full harmonic tablature (if I can call it that) as illustrated

in Steve Moore's OP. It's 'melody-only', I think.

My earlier post was merely re-inforcing Steve's point that it's hard work creating that sort of stuff. I was using different tabs (Mick

Bramich) and different software (OpenOffice). It was a bit of a grind. I packed it in after doing ~50 tunes this way - the little grey

cells just rebelled! I think it was easier doing the Bramich tabs than it would be doingSteve's full harmonic accompaniment, so hats

off to him...

Edited by Roger Hare

15 minutes ago, Roger Hare said:

Yes, but I think I'm right in saying that ME's program doesn't supply full harmonic tablature (if I can call it that) as illustrated

in Steve Moore's OP. It's 'melody-only', I think.

You’re probably right. As I said, I’m not a tabs guy. I haven’t explored what Michael’s machine can do with them (although I had two opportunities to tout it this morning).

• 1 month later...