The Hawk at the seaside

jim troy

Looking for a link to a video, young lady playing English Concertina, sitting on a rock, at the edge of the tide.

She plays 3 tunes, English I think, and one of the tunes might have been The Hawk.

Can't remember her name, or where that seaside was, or even how far the tide was in/out.

Anyone have a link to this, or even remember the vid, or have a clue what I'm talking about ?

Thanks, Jim

McCarthy,

That is the one. thank you so much !   

Now I have to learn them.

Please, someone, put names to the first and the third.  The middle one would be The Hawk ?

The front end is, I'm sure, a good old  English tune, not at all familiar to me,

the one at the  back end, brings to mind  The Guns of The Magnificent Seven,

maybe Random somewhere in the title ? 

Anyhow, I have them on my AnyTune App, and will surely know them, later tonight, by the middle of the fourth pint.

But, what a trooper !  cold sea wind whistling around the wristies, big red recording light staring her out.

You could put her centre stage, Arena, and she'd breeze it.

When I grow up, I want to be just like that.

Jim,

Alex has actually helped answer your questions in a comment on said video.

"The first tune is an untitled hornpipe by the Northumbrian piper Billy Pigg, the second is The Hawk by James Hill, and the last one is a Scottish tune called the Brumley Brae."

Hopefully you can benefit from ABC / sheet music notation.

I reckon the hornpipe is called "Billy Pigg's". Here's The session link: https://thesession.org/tunes/14001

The second is indeed the Hawk as you suggsted. https://thesession.org/tunes/3146

The last is Brumley Brae. I think this is the link. https://thesession.org/tunes/2210

She is indeed superb on that english concertina, that's a master at work right there. I struggle with bellow phrasing on the EC after focusing on the anglo. It takes time to become one with an instrument and it show's in her effortless playing.

Cheers, hope your playing sessions go well and you enjoy learning these new tunes!

5 hours ago, jim troy said:

The front end is, I'm sure, a good old  English tune, not at all familiar to me,

It is "Untitled #4" by Northumbrian piper Billy Pigg - it's not that he didn't name his tunes but that some of the titles got lost in the last 50 years .. 

6 hours ago, RobSay said:

It is "Untitled #4" by Northumbrian piper Billy Pigg - it's not that he didn't name his tunes but that some of the titles got lost in the last 50 years ..  (my italics)

Does that one sound a little like 'Carrick Hornpipe'? It's a bit early in the morning for me, but I can't quite convince myself that there aren't at least some similarities...

BillyPigg's.mid CarrickHornpipe.mid

Edited by lachenal74693

Billy Pigg's Hornpipe is generally played 'flat' and at speed, the Carrick is a dotted hornpipe and goes slower;  both are built round arpeggios which is a characteristic of Billy's tunes.  Untitled #4 does build on arpeggios and there are some common chord transitions and progressions but it doesn't get the full triplet-isation treatment that generates a classic bubbly effect on Northumbrian Smallpipes (and transfers well to the EC). 

Dots for all three for comparison (and more importantly playing!)

Billy Pigg Hornpipes.pdf

Edited by RobSay
minor corrections to dots

Thanks to McCarthy, and Rob.

My brain is now full, thank you.

McCarthy, sorry I did not get the names in the comments, as I had picked the tunes from a linked vid, on this site.

Alex's being one of the links.

Again, thanks. I now have decided to do the tunes, instead of the grass mowing, and all of the other weekend jobs.

16 hours ago, RobSay said:

Billy Pigg's Hornpipe is generally played 'flat' and at speed, the Carrick is a dotted hornpipe and goes slower...there are some common chord transitions and progressions...

Thank you for that lucid explanation. With that in mind, now that I look at the dots more closely I can see the similarities and differences. I wish I had the skills to spot this sort of stuff off my own bat!