Scholer 20 Key Repair

Hi there,

I recently bought a Scholer 20 key concertina from a garage sale for 15 dollars. I am currently fixing it and have gotten the left half to sound well on both the pull and push. The right side has proved difficult however due to the size of the reeds. I am also worried about the fact that the right side seems to have almost no leather valves attached to it. After doing some reading on glues I think I have found one that works but I am having trouble finding leather valves in the lengths I need. Am I able to just buy a larger size and use an exacto knife to trim them? Any other tips on repairs for a beginner or tips for beginners in general would be appreciated. Thanks!

A Scholer was my first concertina. This was before the internet and it seemed impossible to get a concertina. (mid 1970s). I played it for a month or so when one of the reeds broke, No one could fix it, as all the reeds were attached to a reedbank. Even the accordion shop in Windsor could not replace the reed, so it was a couple of years before I found a Bastari. The Scholer was in no key known to Man, anyway. Don't spend a lot of time or effort. Scholers were made in East Germany.

Thank you for the Malcolm for the advice! I am currently still going through and bending each reed so that it will voice properly but am glad to hear I will not need to order more valves. Also this is something of a little hobby so I do not mind putting in the effort, it has been cool to learn a bunch about something I knew nothing about. If anyone has any advice on tuning or otherwise fixing reeds that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

There's a series of short video clips dealing with Scholer 20-button concertinas on YouTube. The first in the series is here. They may help you in your attempts to fix this machine. They may also help identify the key, if that is in doubt.

If fixing concertinas is a 'hobby', you could do worse than buy a copy of the Concertina Maintenance Manual by Dave Elliott.

Edited by lachenal74693