Cadgers of the Canongate.

Ptarmigan

6 hours ago, Ptarmigan said:

Scottish Reel, first published in 1757.
Played on Hammered Dulcimer, English Concertina, Fiddle, Whistle, Tenor Banjo & Bodhran.

Basic 2-voice ABC/PDF/MIDI attached for any who may find it useful.

There's a discrepancy in the dates? You have 1757, the John Chambers transcription of Walsh I found says 1748? Does'nae matter - it's a great tune.

That 'cant' word 'Gadge' or 'Cadge' was still in use in Edinburgh in the 70/80/90s. Used to mean 'mate' by many of the folks I knocked around with (the group 'Drinker's Drouth').

Cadgers in the Conongate.pdf Cadgers in the Conongate.mid

CadgersInTheCanongate.abc

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

There's a discrepancy in the dates? You have 1757, the John Chambers transcription of Walsh I found says 1748? Does'nae matter - it's a great tune.

After nearly 300 years I don't really think anyone is going to be too worried about the exact date.

I just added the date to give folks a rough idea of the age of the tune.  🙂

16 hours ago, Paul Draper said:

The word Cadge is still in use in London! Here it means beg as in 'can I cadge a light'. I always assumed the tune title referred to beggars.

In Scotland it was usually associated with a Hawker or Peddler. 

In the N.E. of Scotland it usually referred to a fishwife or a “backbearer”, i.e. one who carries creels into the country to sell fish. 🙂

3 hours ago, Ptarmigan said:

After nearly 300 years I don't really think anyone is going to be too worried about the exact date.

I just added the date to give folks a rough idea of the age of the tune.  🙂

Oh, aye, I wasn't nit-picking, I just thought it was 'interesting'. Tracking down the provenance of stuff like this can be a nightmare.😊 Thank you for posting this - I simply can't get enough of this sort of music!

___

I only just clocked your real-world identity - thanks for some great music over the years - please keep it coming!

Edited by lachenal74693