Question about sounding notes (from a newbie)

David Bradford

Hello folks!

I'm a brand new concertina student (10 days in) and I have a question that I haven't seen addressed in the beginner book I have or by the online (prerecorded) lessons I'm taking. My question is: How are you supposed to differentiate between the same note played repeatedly? For example, in Skye Boat Song, there's a sequence of G, E, G, G, G. Should I separate the repeated Gs by holding in the button and stopping and starting the push on my bellows, or should I separate the notes by continuing to push on the bellows and alternately pressing and releasing the button? Does it even matter?

I know it's a simple question, but I hate to learn bad habits from the start.

Thanks!

Pressing and releasing the button is a good default, and that's where I'd recommend you start.

As you gain experience, you may choose other techniques to achieve different effects. Pulsing/shaking the bellows is one option. Tapping the side of the concertina where there is no button is another. Pressing the same button repeatedly, but with different fingers is a third. On top of all that, there are also various ornaments that can be used for articulation. So it may seem like a simple question, but it's a good one!

• Like 1

Are you on an English or Anglo concertina? If on an Anglo, another possibility for the G (assuming G above middle C) is to use the G button push on the C row followed by the G button push on the G row.  This is a useful technique for playing fast triples as well, alternating between the buttons. Works for the A on the draw as well.

• Like 2

You will eventually find your own way to play the notes, and it will become easier as you go on with your learning; so do persevere, as sometimes people can too easily be put off maybe by lack of progress, or maybe wanting to do that next tune, before their skill is at the correct level. 

I recently put a topic on playing concertina [ "approaches to music - free reed concertina"] on my you tube channel, which I have, so that I could let people see how a concertina works, which is presented for people generally who maybe wanted to know what they are like to play.  So it takes them through basic features, with demonstration, and a tune, and certain techniques which I have used myself over a couple of decades of playing. Methods of tone production, and so on.. You are welcome to go and watch it..

Just one thing I am noted for, and guard you against doing, is my way of holding concertina [ on my Anglo] where I hold it very loosely in my hands.  You will prefer the straps to be used traditionally [ if Anglo concertina].  My own method here, in this video is just my own personal holding method, otherwise I hope you may find it interesting? Link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cPEDR776k

• Like 1