Wanted: Used Responsive C/G Anglo (Edgley hybrid or comparable)

Jared B

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, fairly new to the concertina, and I'm looking to upgrade from a McNeela Swan to something a bit faster and more responsive.  I'm really keen on the Frank Edgley instruments, but would be open to any C/G that is very responsive.  As a fiddle player, I'm used to having really good control over phrasing and dynamics up to speed, and that more than tone is what I'm missing on my current instrument.  My price range is somewhere to either side of $2,000, and of course I don't mind staying under budget.  Also, I would love to hear any opinions on the playability of restored Lachenals vs comparably priced hybrid instruments from anyone that has played them.

Thanks,

Jared

15 hours ago, Jared B said:

Also, I would love to hear any opinions on the playability of restored Lachenals vs comparably priced hybrid instruments from anyone that has played them.

Especially since you have said you prioritize speed, response and control, and taking tone out of the equation, I will say the following about used instruments in your price range (and add "reliability" into the bargain) : Any Morse or Edgley that hasn't been abused will be hands down better than all but the very best Lachenals (which you would be hard pressed to find for $2000).  In fact, for playability I would stack them up against many modern concertina reeded instruments. (I own a Carroll and a Morse as well as several Lachenals.  I have owned a Kensington and an Edgley). I can't speak for the other high-end hybrids.  As far as tone goes, while not the same as a concertina reeded box, any Edgley or Morse I have heard has a pleasing sound.

Edited by Bill N
clarity

Action wise I don't have a preference.  I like the  slightly domed Delrin buttons which are found on all Edgleys and earlier Morses.  Morse changed supplier at some point and went with a flat topped button which I didn't like as much, but that's a personal preference.  

Morses are quite a bit lighter than Edglys, which is nice if you play standing up, but the Edgleys aren't particularly heavy.

I have a G/D Morse which I really like the sound of.  I had a C/G Morse and I thought it didn't sound quite as "concertina like" as my metal ended Edgley, which I felt had a brighter tone.  But I would be happy with either.

Edited by Bill N

I know Jared beat me to the used Edgley , but I too am looking for a good used G/C 30-button Anglo. would appreciate if anyone knows of any. Many thanks!

ON EDIT: got one. Thanks anyway, everyone! :)

Edited by MeezStephanie
Update

On 2/10/2023 at 1:09 AM, Jared B said:

Also, I would love to hear any opinions on the playability of restored Lachenals vs comparably priced hybrid instruments from anyone that has played them.

IMO, a well cared for Morse (or Edgley, or Tedrow) will be easier to play and faster than almost any Lachenal except for those fitted with modern riveted mechanisms.

I've had Edgleys and Morses, and the biggest difference I see between the two is in weight; the Morse instruments are the lightest I've played, the Edgleys significantly heavier. Both are very fast, responsible and reliable.  I have less experience with Tedrows, but the few I've played have the same qualities.

I have several very good vintage instruments, but the concertina I pick up when I'm just playing for my own pleasure is the Morse CG.  It's also my primary Morris dance instrument because of the combination of great volume and light weight.

Tone - No accordion reeded instrument  sounds exactly like traditionally reeded instruments. In my experience, a good CG hybrid sounds pretty close, especially the Morse.  Close, but not the same.

Every GD hybrid I've played sounds much more accordion-like.  It's not a bad sound,and I've played in band situations with mates who preferred that sound, but it's different.  That said, when played through a PA, the difference tends to wash out.  My Jeffries and my Morse GDs sound incredibly different when I'm playing unamplified; played in a big dance hall through a PA, few people would notice any difference.

But sound is so very subjective; there are no hard and fast rules.

Edited by Jim Besser